Any wlders in the house? >

Any wlders in the house?

Notices

Any wlders in the house?

Old 06-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any wlders in the house?

I'm not a welder, so don't know if this can be fixed. Wish I had noticed this when I first bought these tips. Apparently they stripped two of the three studs when removing them. They appear to be fubar'ed beyond fixing with a die, and I don't really have room to spin it on the stud with the pipe next to it. I am hoping that the original stud could be cut off and a stainless bolt or stud can be welded on in its place. Sound doable? If anyone has a better idea to fix this, let it fly! Going to talk to a friend of mine who works at a stainless fabrication shop tomorrow. Sometimes you can't win for losing!

Old 06-12-2014, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I would give a tap and die set a chance.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
I would give a tap and die set a chance.
I tried a die on it, but no way to rotate the holder because the pipe is so close. If someone makes a die holder that has a hex head on it that can be spun with a socket or wrench that might be an option. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rig something cheap and dirty. Simple as a pipe large enough to hold the die with a couple screws to hold the die, and long enough to clear the exhaust tip. Drill a hole the the pipe end to run a rod thru to turn your new die holder. Think man think. or just turn the die with channel locks. The threads are cut. You are just going to clean them up. Won't take much to run a die down it
But that thread is pretty bad. If you can weld in a new bolt/ stud I'd go that route myself

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 06-12-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just chase the threads with a die. You can turn it with a socket, open end or box wrench or a crescent wrench. Use lube like 3 in 1 oil. Even if you have to undersize 1 size a lot less work and money then welding on new studs. Plus, welding on new studs will most likely discolor the chrome on the outside bezel.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would cut it and leave a inch sticking out and tig on a existing bolt..
Old 06-13-2014, 02:32 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Cut them off and then just use 4200 on the flange to mount them
Old 06-13-2014, 05:22 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

12 point socket 1-1/16 or 1-1/8" and extension with a rachet. If there is no meat left thread it to something metric...
Old 06-13-2014, 06:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Rig something cheap and dirty. Simple as a pipe large enough to hold the die with a couple screws to hold the die, and long enough to clear the exhaust tip. Drill a hole the the pipe end to run a rod thru to turn your new die holder. Think man think. or just turn the die with channel locks. The threads are cut. You are just going to clean them up. Won't take much to run a die down it
But that thread is pretty bad. If you can weld in a new bolt/ stud I'd go that route myself
Good idea on the pipe, US1. I'm going to talk to my welder buddy to see what he thinks. If he can't get to it, I'll try to come up with something like the pipe. There's not a whole lot left of those threads, and stainless is tougher to cut than mild steel. What about cutting it at the threads and just welding another stud next to it. Would be stronger, and I could just go a little oversize on the hole.

Not real sure about relying on 4200 to bond it on. If I were to do that, I would leave the studs on there to help locate and hold the tips in place. I would feel better having a nut on the end of it.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
Old 06-13-2014, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just cut the studs flush, then drill new holes then use stainless bolts. If you want it to look nice get an Allen head bolt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.