steering question

Notices

steering question

Old 06-14-2014, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering question

Hello guys,

FIrst and foremost I apologize for all the questions.

I have an internall steering system on my dual bravo. It's hydraulic. Its 20 years old so I would like to replace it. I was looking more at a an external system as the boat will be going fast. I don't want to buy two new systems so I can i just install an external system and run the hydraulics to those? I would really like to pull all the old steering hardware in the boat too. I have uploaded a picture of the steering system currently in the boat. Can i just pull it out? I have read the two systems should work in tandem.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-14-2014, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

I looked into installing ext steering since my internal steering had slop. I found out that if you have any slop in your upper swivel shaft / gimble ring / steering arm, that will need to be repaired since these items provide feedback for ext steering.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by zz28zz
I looked into installing ext steering since my internal steering had slop. I found out that if you have any slop in your upper swivel shaft / gimble ring / steering arm, that will need to be repaired since these items provide feedback for ext steering.

So do I have to run the two in tandem? I don't exactly understand how it works.. DO I run the hose to the external steering from the pump?
Old 06-15-2014, 02:39 AM
Registered

You have 3 choices - internal like you have, internal with an added hydraulic system on the outside (2 systems) or full external hydraulic. The full external hydraulic is the best for high speeds but is also the most expensive. It requires a new helm, lines and a dual drive ram system outside the boat. I would be checking my pins on the transom assembly now anyway since you are there. If sloppy fix them. And if you go full external hydraulic you do not use the internal parts so yes you can pull them.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,029 Likes on 1,347 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o56259-en.html
Old 06-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

it is 20 years old. you have pin slop. motors are out. get the pins fixed. they not only are loose, they start to leak.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
it is 20 years old. you have pin slop. motors are out. get the pins fixed. they not only are loose, they start to leak.
Pin slops the least of my worry right now... tried to pull the hoses from the ports on the cylinder and they broke off like slicing a cake. I think its time for a new system I just don't want to run both in tandem and replicate the costs so id prefer to do one over the other.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Registered

steering valve is cheap-100 bucks used tops. you probably don't need it. lines-u can get fitting for low pressure line. it is 16mm O-ring to AN6 male. and another fitting AN6 female to 3/8 hose barb. get 90 degree bend on second fitting so hose clears exhaust. then buy hose or use your low pressure hose over. high pressure hose is kinda pricey and not easy to find used, but possible. also a hyd hose guy can make one up new cheaper than merc stuff. this stuff is easy to work on with motors in. the hoses rot and break a lot. something about salt water splashing on them forever makes them rust. the steering pins you need to either pull motors and transom assys to get to or cut hole in outside of transom shield and buy this kit with instructions and the necessary parts. JM marine or something like that. but I would do the pins without cutting transom assy if possible.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
steering valve is cheap-100 bucks used tops. you probably don't need it. lines-u can get fitting for low pressure line. it is 16mm O-ring to AN6 male. and another fitting AN6 female to 3/8 hose barb. get 90 degree bend on second fitting so hose clears exhaust. then buy hose or use your low pressure hose over. high pressure hose is kinda pricey and not easy to find used, but possible. also a hyd hose guy can make one up new cheaper than merc stuff. this stuff is easy to work on with motors in. the hoses rot and break a lot. something about salt water splashing on them forever makes them rust. the steering pins you need to either pull motors and transom assys to get to or cut hole in outside of transom shield and buy this kit with instructions and the necessary parts. JM marine or something like that. but I would do the pins without cutting transom assy if possible.

Can I just remove all that junk and install an external steering? I'm looking at doing speeds in excess of 90
Old 06-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Registered

yes you can. just leave steering arms in place and ignore them with full hyd to helm. at 90ish mph it is the system you must have. you sure those drives will handle that much power? not many stock components can be used above 80. what boat is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.