Outdrive Control Box

Notices

Outdrive Control Box

Old 06-17-2014, 10:12 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outdrive Control Box

I have what Formula is labeling a Mercury Outdrive Control Box. From my trim and trailer switches the wire bundle travels to this black box then out to the drive pumps. Is this box required. I am replacing the switches and I no longer have dash mounted trim gauges, can I simply just cut this box out and use the 3 wires from the trim pumps to the switches, Is there any other purpose this box houses? I do not care to have limits on my out trim, I drive by feel and I am the only person driving the boat. I will install indicators when I have time to fab them.
Old 11-06-2023, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

Holy old post batman. I have this same box, and am redoing my trim tab/drive/trailer panel.

I'm keeping the box, but really confused on what it actually does, and why formula wired this thing, this way. I have 2 Orange/purple wires coming from it, that goes to each side of a DPDT switch, but then formula also brings in power from the 'side' that's hot all the time. So, it let's you move the drives I assume UP? while the engine is off. I turned my keys to run and don't 12v from Orange/Purples.

There are 2 Orange/Purples, so... they can't be 'different' because they are same color wire... so it's 12v I assume, but when is it 12v? OHHH... when the drives get high enough I bet.

I have to use my drives tab to raise them up to a point, THEN I can raise them rest of way w/trailer. If the key is ON I think? but key off, trailer does all?

I should have done more testing before cutting some of these switches, I thought I mapped it all out. ugh.

thanks for any insight!
Old 11-06-2023, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

did some testing. the orange/purples don't seem to have power, they receive power.
there is a red that comes in, and propagates to one of the orange/purple, and that also sends power to the other orange purple. So I'll tie all 3 together on the boat side as 'power in' for the trailer switches.

thanks