Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
blown 900 ate a distributor gear over the weekend, what now...... >

blown 900 ate a distributor gear over the weekend, what now......

Notices

blown 900 ate a distributor gear over the weekend, what now......

Old 06-17-2014, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown 900 ate a distributor gear over the weekend, what now......

Had a problem with my port motor running real bad missing, popping, backfiring, eventually it died and would not restart. I had to be towed to the dock, spent all day yesterday checking ignition system, plugs, wires..... so on and so forth. Anyway everything checked out, pulled the dizzy cap and sure enough the rotor free spins. Pulled it out and the dizzy gear is stripped, heavy wear on all the teeth, and one spot almost smoothed right over. Oil pump spins freely and smoothly, and the portion of the cam gear that I can see looks fine. I guess I am reluctant to just change oil and filter, and install a new distributor gear. and go boating. Seems like a lot metal may have gone through the engine from the old gear. This motor idles at 75 psi oil pressure cold, and will see over 100 at full throttle. I know high oil pressure puts extra stress on the gear. Distributor is a MSD pro billet and appears to be an iron gear. What does everyone think? Should the motor come out, or put it back together and run it.... I sure don't want to grenade this engine. Happy fathers day to me
Old 06-17-2014, 05:17 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

That's a lot of metal, I would have to pull it apart just to know if or what damage it caused. Then I would have to know why the gear wore out. What kind of cam is it, flat tappet or roller ? I'm guessing the gear didn't match the cam
Old 06-17-2014, 06:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GPM
That's a lot of metal, I would have to pull it apart just to know if or what damage it caused. Then I would have to know why the gear wore out. What kind of cam is it, flat tappet or roller ? I'm guessing the gear didn't match the cam
It has a pretty aggressive solid roller. I am thinking that it has to come out and gone through as well.... and then at that point I might as well pull them both and freshen them both and convert them to hydraulic rollers. Something I have wanted to do since I bought the boat.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Registered

pics didn't work, it sucks you can't load from your computer and have to use a url !!!
Old 06-17-2014, 06:37 PM
GPM
Registered

Does the solid roller have a cast gear or is the distributor gear melonized or could that be the problem.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:38 PM
GPM
Registered

You have to be a paying member to post pictures.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or your cam is walking forward,,could have lost the retainer or button..
Old 06-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Or the distributor height was off for some reason being a tall deck and using a slip collar. Sorry to hear this Rob!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:07 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rob,

It is likely a material compatibility or alignment issue. You are welcome to email the photos directly and we will assist you with an assessment of the failure.

Bob
Old 06-17-2014, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

it sucks for this to happen in the beginning of the season,i suggest not running it and send the pic to bob.he may say it,s ok to run it with the proper gear and gear alignment [if you are luckey] or it may need to be torn down,if that is the case he can fix you up with the right hyd roller camshaft and components.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.