1  merc. 700 keeps vaporlocking >

1 merc. 700 keeps vaporlocking

Notices

1 merc. 700 keeps vaporlocking

Old 06-29-2014, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 merc. 700 keeps vaporlocking

My friend has a 42 Outerlimits with 700 mercs. and only the port side engine the forward engine vapor locks. Now its hot ass hell 92 deg. but this seems to be getting worse. I think its odd that it only the engine every time.

Any ideas?
Old 06-29-2014, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a friend with 700 s in a 39. Cig and it vapor locks everytime he turn it off on a hot day .they told
Him to open the motor hatch to let air in while ur stopped . It does work but why should u have to do that...
A bunch of bull.... Merc fix the problem......
Old 06-29-2014, 08:00 AM
Registered

We do that every time we stop. But wy just that engine and not both its always just the forward one.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:22 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I would do a fuel vacuum test on that motor as it is showing a problem by itself. Also change all fuel filters, make sure all your fuel system has tight connections (do not over tighten fittings) with no leaks including air leaks. If your fuel vacuum test shows more than 2 Hg that indicates a fuel restriction, or a form of a leak. Merc max spec is 2 Hg for fuel vacuum testing.

Also it is important to make sure you have the proper fuel pressure so check that as well. If not that can cause a fuel delivery problems - weak / bad fuel pump(s) and or fuel restrictions - These 2 tests I would do first to see if those specs are met beforehand.

You could have weak fuel pumps(s) and or the that motor is running hotter than normal. Next look into the area of the COOL FUEL system - make sure no water leaks or air leaks or restrictions.

Last edited by BUP; 06-29-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:25 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

I always open my engine hatches when I stop, whether it's the 388, the Talon, hell, after I take the wife's Viper for a little run, I open the hood and let her cool off. Heat is the death of any engine...
Old 06-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Registered

The fuel rail are hot as hell! I had the same issue with a 390 velocity. I installed scoops on the hatch and it never vapor locked again. I think one problem is that these boats don't get enough fresh air. Especially the front engine. The air inlet is on the side towards the back of the engine compartment. But I also agree with a fuel system issue. We checked the smart craft and it showed we had good fuel pres. Thanks for all the great info.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Believe it or not this one is easy. Run 89 non-ethanol fuel and your problem is solved. It's that easy.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 39 Unlimited
Believe it or not this one is easy. Run 89 non-ethanol fuel and your problem is solved. It's that easy.
I agree with 39Ultd!

We just went to orange beach and it was the first time I put ethanol in my boat. I already ran return lines back to tank but after the first run and shutting down without giving extra time to cool off caused some issues.

Both cranked but would not rev till a minute or so till I got fuel back up there.

Gave additional 5 minutes of idling fixed my minor vapor lock symptoms!
Old 06-29-2014, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 39 Unlimited
I have the problem with vapor lock (2000) 7.4mpi bravo iii only when I run jip-joint gas. As long as I stay with 89 octane from shell, mobil or bp - NO ISSUES. It was very hot today in northern Indiana and I was running quite hard - what I do is idle the boat for a minute or two prior to shut off and just open the engine cover and let it cool.

3pointstar
Old 06-29-2014, 09:20 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

My carb'd engines don't vapor lock.

LOL.

Just some EFI vs Carb elbow jabbing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.