Just got a noise ticket tonight - need options >

Just got a noise ticket tonight - need options

Notices

Just got a noise ticket tonight - need options

Old 07-04-2014, 02:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a noise ticket tonight - need options

Having fun idling up the river in Milwaukee waiting for the fireworks show and I unexpectedly find out the DNR wasn't entertained by my exhaust. Apparently 95DB at idle is too much. Admittedly, the cam change, head work and fatter tune definitely made it louder. What ever dick head just give me my ticket and let me go back to having fun. So, now that I know the rules 86DB's, I need to make some modifications. Since i like loud and personally 95 DB is kinda weak, i'm considering going dry with some type of switchable muffler. If i'm going to do this I might as well do it right. What is everyone using?

I currently have Stainless Marine Exhaust that I was planning on extending the riser to couple directly to a dry tip. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a dry tip yet. I would think these would still be water jacketed with a water dump right? Not trying heat the crap of my transom. A switchable / muffler tip (for dry exhaust) would be IMO the best option. Does this exist?

I comfortable making everything (rather not) except the muffler. I need confidence that a muffler will be quiet enough to get me through this crap without water flowing through it.

Signed - pissed off

Last edited by abmotorman; 07-04-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I doubt you are actually at 95db and the test was most likely not done corectly.

Switchable mufflers added to dry exhaust will not make them quiet enough to pass a db test.

Dry exhaust does not go to a "Dry Tip" The riser/tailpipe is water jacketed and extends all the way through the transom.

BTW, 86 db will be hard to get to even with wet thru hull exhaust

Last edited by Griff; 07-04-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
I doubt you are actually at 95db and the test was most likely not done corectly.

Switchable mufflers added to dry exhaust will not make them quiet enough to pass a db test.

Dry exhaust does not go to a "Dry Tip" The riser/tailpipe is water jacketed and extends all the way through the transom.

BTW, 86 db will be hard to get to even with wet thru hull exhaust
Checked the DNR web site and sure enough 86 DB (see pg. 12) they probably set it that low to increase revenue. I actually believe the readings. I say readings because he followed me about 2 miles with a sound gun. Once we tied up in a nice open spot he pulled out the tape measure and separate meter with a fancy dancy mic on it and proceeded to document the whole experience on video. yep i'm screwed.

Are you saying you haven't seen an effective, muffler (preferably switchable) for dry exhaust? Someone has to make something??? I see some running turndown's that discharge below the waterline while not on plane. Still see them giving me crap about that.

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/pdf/pubs/le/le0301.pdf
Old 07-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the turndowns will do the trick. you can try a half-ass version. clamp merc thru-prop elbows on ends of exhausts if tips are within 8 inches or so of water at idle.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:19 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
the turndowns will do the trick. you can try a half-ass version. clamp merc thru-prop elbows on ends of exhausts if tips are within 8 inches or so of water at idle.
+1, turndowns seem to be the most common solution
Old 07-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by abmotorman
Checked the DNR web site and sure enough 86 DB (see pg. 12) they probably set it that low to increase revenue. I actually believe the readings. I say readings because he followed me about 2 miles with a sound gun. Once we tied up in a nice open spot he pulled out the tape measure and separate meter with a fancy dancy mic on it and proceeded to document the whole experience on video. yep i'm screwed.

Are you saying you haven't seen an effective, muffler (preferably switchable) for dry exhaust? Someone has to make something??? I see some running turndown's that discharge below the waterline while not on plane. Still see them giving me crap about that.

Yep. Show them the money. That sucks though.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i understand he is soppose to do the db test out in the middle of a lake with out anything near your exhaust to rickashay off of...i have been pulled over too,,i wait i use to wait for the officer to get set up and told him that he was doing it wrong and pulled out the paperwork..then i showed him the piece of paper that showed him my older boat that 1980 is grand fathered in to have louder exhaust..
Old 07-04-2014, 11:27 PM
Registered

Anybody have experience with either of these systems? To me the electronic would be easier and lighter. Pneumatic maybe prone to long term corrosion concerns???

http://teaguecustommarine.com/em0011...er-system.html

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-12615...encer-kit.aspx

Wonder how much reduction in sound on a dry setup?

http://marineexhaust.ggb.ca/4-inch-i...ong-sport-pair

Last edited by abmotorman; 07-04-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Having fun idling up the river in Milwaukee waiting for the fireworks show and I unexpectedly find out the DNR wasn't entertained by my exhaust. Apparently 95DB at idle is too much. Admittedly, the cam change, head work and fatter tune definitely made it louder. What ever dick head just give me my ticket and let me go back to having fun. So, now that I know the rules 86DB's, I need to make some modifications. Since i like loud and personally 95 DB is kinda weak, i'm considering going dry with some type of switchable muffler. If i'm going to do this I might as well do it right. What is everyone using?

I currently have Stainless Marine Exhaust that I was planning on extending the riser to couple directly to a dry tip. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a dry tip yet. I would think these would still be water jacketed with a water dump right? Not trying heat the crap of my transom. A switchable / muffler tip (for dry exhaust) would be IMO the best option. Does this exist?

I comfortable making everything (rather not) except the muffler. I need confidence that a muffler will be quiet enough to get me through this crap without water flowing through it.

Signed - pissed off
I have spent money on all the options in the past. Clearly the I found gettting a set of turn down pipes may be the best overal option: it is quieter on idle, runs great on top, and can easily be removed when you go to a different location or for other events. Besides the clamp on versions, drill a hole in the tail pipe to allow a secure fit with a simple lock bolt also.
It happens
Old 07-05-2014, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

on my formula with silent thunder ''wet'' swim platform, on twin 485 HP, my db reading was 91-92, at idle, 3 feet behind and 3 feet high.

I don't see any boat being able to be under that without turn down !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.