Impeller problems >

Impeller problems

Notices

Impeller problems

Old 07-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impeller problems

Last weekend we were on the water and went to anchor and my wife said she could hear water coming in the boat. So I pulled the anchor opened the hatch and could hear it too. We took off ran the bilge and took the boat out. I found one of the hoses going into the sea pump loose so I put it back on tightened it up and started it up hooked to water hose. Then I looked and the whole impeller housing cracked. I took it off yesterday and the impeller was toast so I got a new impeller and housing and installed yesterday. I put it on started on the water hose and could see it was leaking some around it somewhere so I took it all back off checked the o rings and everything looked fine so I tightened it back down a little tighter than before ( was afraid to break the plastic housing). But I did notice a hairline crack in the metal where one of the bolts goes through the impeller housing to mount onto what connects to the housing and pulley. I didn't think that would have any effect. I put it back on and started it and could see a very small amount of water being slung off of where the pulley turned but couldn't even see where it was leaking. I turned the boat off and left the water running and with the boat off I could see a small stream of water start to come out off the top somewhere in between where the plastic and metal housings meet. I don't understand why it would leak more with the motor off and don't know what to do. I'm almost afraid to try and take it off and tighten the bolts anymore. And I really don't want to buy the 450 dollar metal housing and pulley if I can avoid it, especially if that doesn't even fix the problem. I'm stuck and very frustrated and would appreciate any input. Sorry so long and my boat has a 454 that was totally rebuilt between seasons and I just want to enjoy it not put more money into it.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spend the money on the Jabsco all brass pump. It's WELL worth it. I did both of mine 10 yrs. ago and have never had any problems since. The Merc. plastic ones are junk.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Jabsco is a good pump .....but the are probably 1 million + Merc sea pumps running world wide .... they do fail ... but also can remain in service for 100's of hours ....
Old 07-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Registered

How much is a jabsco? Would it be a for sure fix you think?
Old 07-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did your housing freeze and warp, why else would it crack both halves?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:13 PM
Registered

no it didnt freese and crack but i think the impeller stopped turning and blew a hose almost off so i put it back on good then hooked it up to a hose. then the plastic housing cracked, i guess because the water had no where to go. this may have been what caused the hairline crack in the metal where the one bolt screws in but i dont know. I just dont know if that hairline crack where one bolt threads in is the problem but it could be
Old 07-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Registered

How much is a jabsco and do you think it will fix it for sure?