Fuel level in cool fuel module 496 HO

Notices

Fuel level in cool fuel module 496 HO

Old 07-13-2014, 06:17 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel level in cool fuel module 496 HO

After a 5 min run between 2500 and 3000 rpm, alarm goes off (continuous beeping)
Backing off to idle, alarm stops.
Engine running @ idle, sounds normal.

When re accelerating (even very very little) engine doesn’t sound right, looks like (fuel) starving and alarm goes off again. After getting back to the harbour at idle, I opened the filter and found only +- 1 inch of fuel. I thought fuel level inside should be until top?
Filters (only ½ h old, still looks as new), gas tanks are full.

Last year, I already had some fuel problems due to dirty fuel (empty fuel tanks at the local marina) Cleaned out complete cool fuel module system, replaced all the filters (small plastic white and regular filter) and even replaced two electrical fuel pumps because clogged inside.

Any ideas / thoughts?
Old 07-13-2014, 10:05 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Do a fuel sample from your fuel tank and see if you have water in it ? Water or grit or running the motor out of gas kills those fuel pumps. Next take your fuel tank out of the mix and run your engine(s) on persay a outboard portable fuel tank with fresh gas and new fuel line with a primer bulb, if problem still exists squeeze the primer bulb to see if the engine picks up. Next see if your cool fuel cavity internally has paint or corrosion that is peeling or flaking off. Mercruiser has painted the inside of the gen III cool fuel cell. A really Bad idea.

You can pull the basket inside the cool fuel and see if that gas has any water in it. Also the white disc pad filter 10 micron rated is the most important filter and can cause fuel restrictions when it gets dirty. Change all fuel filters at least once a year bare min for proper maintenance anyways.

Somewhere in this mix you need to scan the motor to see what your alarm is all about and what faults are taking place plus being stored.

IMO sounds like you might have a boost fuel pump that can't keep up. Possible new one also what is your fuel pressure ? You will need to check it beforehand as well.

Last edited by BUP; 07-13-2014 at 10:11 AM.