Cam recommendations for these heads? >

Cam recommendations for these heads?

Notices

Cam recommendations for these heads?

Old 07-13-2014, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts
Default Cam recommendations for these heads?

Hey everyone,

My 242LS is just about done with transom repairs, and since the 454 mag is out, I thought I'd do some freshening up of things. The top end was redone at 400 hours, but Ive never been able to figure out what heads were on it. The heads came from a reputable shop up in MD (same escapes me... maybe Precision Machine?), but the listing on the receipt was just for two replacement Mercury heads.

Well now I know...

ProTopline 502 replacements.

I've heard that these heads (they are an older casting) are excellent so long as the right person assembled them. They look great, and based on the cost per head via the receipt from the previous owner I would assume they're done right. I'll be taking them off to have them looked at regardless.

This is a good foundation for my boat's power for the next year. I plan on building something else bigger next year (or the one after). I'm going to upgrade the valvetrain to full roller. What cam would be a good fit for good power and reliability? Goal is 450-500 HP. I have a basically new 496 mag take-off manifold and riser set so I'm good there.

Thoughts? I'll probably put a call into Bob Madura on this as well, but off the shelf may work pretty well too.

Thanks!
Tom
Old 07-13-2014, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You got the right idea, call Bob M