Notices

EOH brakes stay on

Old 07-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default EOH brakes stay on

Went to tow the boat the other day and as I came to the first stop I applied the brakes. When I went to take off the truck would not move, the trailer brakes were still holding. I tapped the brake pedal and the brakes released. Now every time I apply the brakes I have to tap the pedal to get the trailer brakes to release. What should I be looking for. Brakes work normally otherwise.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure what brake controller you have but some are sensitive to the angle they are mounted at. Make sure it's not loose and moving around!
Old 07-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

right here local to you.
angle's got nothing to do with it. You have EOH and an electronic controller.

first suspect is brake light switch
the brake signal wire (controller) is getting signal from brake light switch under the pedal
use controller manually. If all is well I suspect sticky brake light switch under pedal, especially as the "tap" releases it every time.

apply the brakes as in a long and deep on the peddle stop in the driveway multiple times and see if your brake lights are staying on (or delay going off as the switch creeps out)

beyond that, controller board or brain box on the trailer but with no other symptoms I doubt it

Last edited by Rippem; 07-13-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 519 Posts

Try towing with a different truck, to rule out truck or trailer. All good suggestions above.

offshoredrillin had a similar problem a few weeks ago; and it turned out to be the controller in the truck went south.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-13-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem and mine was due to the controller being a bit loose from me whacking it with my knee when I got in and out of the truck. Tightened the thumb screws and problem went away. But there is no way it was that!
Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I checked the controller and found it was tight and level. I had not thought much about it the other day but the battery in the truck was dead. Figured I left key on. Charged the battery about 4hours and launched the boat. After getting home and putting boat away I went to start truck to put in garage And it barely started. I use a company vehicle during the week. I went out tonight and truck is dead.

I'll jump it tomorrow night and check the brake lights staying on. I"ll also see if manually all is working properly.