Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Building a new trailer for a 87 Midnight express 37'. Need help! >

Building a new trailer for a 87 Midnight express 37'. Need help!

Notices

Building a new trailer for a 87 Midnight express 37'. Need help!

Old 07-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a new trailer for a 87 Midnight express 37'. Need help!

Hey everyone, im building a trailer for my midnight express. Its a 37 but its going to have a bracket on it and im needing to determine i-beam length and size. If any on could throw some ideas and formulas for determining the size I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance! Kris
Old 07-17-2014, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you buying a trailer? Where are you located? If your in the southeast order the trailer from Owens and sons Tampa. Simply the best.

Wannabe
Old 07-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being you are in FL with a 80's Midnight Express, you might want to build a box beam trailer for additional storage
Old 07-22-2014, 08:48 AM
Registered

Sorry for the delay in response
wannabe, im going to build a trailer, I have accounts at all the suppliers to get everything so building will only cost me about an 1/8 of the price than to buy one. Im in palm beach county

Benperfected, I was thinking of going with 10" i-beams. Your thoughts?

Midnightaccess
Old 07-22-2014, 08:57 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Experience and proven designs are part of what you pay for. I'd contact Myco and/or Manning, and see if you can work with them to design a set of blueprints, and buy the design from them at a price they are comfortable to sell such. (It's not going to be $50 bucks.)

I've only seen a couple homemade trailers in all my years that were anything close to being substantial or attractive. Determining CoG is going to be one of your biggest placement decisions, and since it sounds like you are building a trailer for a boat that is going to be or will be a project; and some of that is TBD; you have a bit of a cart & horse problem.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by midnightaccess
Sorry for the delay in response
wannabe, im going to build a trailer, I have accounts at all the suppliers to get everything so building will only cost me about an 1/8 of the price than to buy one. Im in palm beach county

Benperfected, I was thinking of going with 10" i-beams. Your thoughts?

Midnightaccess
I would advise AGAINST building your own trailer. As I suggested Owens and Sons in Tampa builds the best bang for the buck trailer around- bar none. Tell them what boat you have and they will give you a quote. Building a trailer is NO EASY thing with out a design and pattern. Plus you get a warranty- thats my thoughts.

I have the original 30 yr old MYCO trailer for my Chris Cat so paying for a competent builder is WORTH it.

Wannabe
Old 07-22-2014, 09:48 AM
Registered

I have built great looking trailers before for up to around 25 foot, but that's about it, I have worked on trailers the size I want to build but never designed, I've seen so many different designs before. Some with a ton of crossmembers and some with less. I didnt know if any company would work with you on designing like that. And yes it is a project boat and weight wise the boat is pretty much figured out and designed.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Registered

I understand your point wannabe, my original plan was to find a trailer around me that is the size I need and basically copy it for the most part and go from there. What are your thoughts there?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the planning stage of making a trailer for my 27 Magnum. I bought plans from these guys just for some pointers.

http://www.boatdesigns.com/mobile/Bo.../products/529/

The plans are based off of using C Channel. I'm a fresh water boater so I am planning on 4 x 6 box tube with 3/16 wall.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:17 PM
Registered

Axle Placement is very key- too far forward and you will be fishtailing everywhere. Too far back and nose heavy. Midnight Express are heavy boats. Have you even gotten a quote from Owens & Sons? Get one and then start putting your bill of materials together including 3 5,000 lb axles. Then figure in your time. I think you will find that buying a trailer is better.

Wannabe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.