Beware of '38 Top Gun on Ebay >

Beware of '38 Top Gun on Ebay

Notices

Beware of '38 Top Gun on Ebay

Old 07-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware of '38 Top Gun on Ebay

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.....

I bid on and won a 1987 Top Gun on Ebay, location listed as Fort Lauderdale. Has the neon cover. Quickly send an email to the seller asking for a copy of the title so that I can send info to bank of which I was pre-approved. A day later I get a call from a Canadian number. Seller says he is in Canada with the boat. Just wire money. 3 days later I get the info and name on title for boat and trailer are completely different than the seller. He says it is his girlfriend and that isn't a problem. Hurry up and wire money.

I said I would come up to Canada with certified check and look at the boat and finalize everything. "I don't want a certified check...wire a deposit or I will sell to someone else".

I offered to come with $3000 cash deposit and the remaining on certified check. He said "ok". Calls me an hour later sounding very paranoid... "Was that you that drove into the lot? I saw NY plates!!" WTF!!??

He dragged his feet on any info I needed. Just wanted a wire transfer. Was real quick on sending bank info though. I caught him in several lies. Turns out the person on the title is a fairly well known athlete. I found her number but haven't called her.

Further investigation (thanks Google) revealed that he had an exotic car business which is now defunct. Probably because he is rude and irrational.

Anyway, I have no idea if a complete scam or someone trying to scramble for cash. He wound up telling me to go screw and re-listed it. I have to fight a Unpaid item mark on my Ebay account but better than dealing with this crap.
I just didn't want anyone here getting scammed and your more than welcome to PM me for more info.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Registered

Good heads up! Very strange that he has it relisted now but still shows FL as the location even if he has it in a lot up in Canada. I'd dispute with Ebay just on the fact that the location of the boat is over a thousand miles away from where it's listed as being located.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

the white one with orange covers?
Old 07-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88bullet
the white one with orange covers?
Yes! It's too bad. Lots of work done on that. Did you see the engines? Anyway... the search continues.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:34 PM
Registered

i know all about that boat. i took a long hard look at it before i bought mine. talked to the owner a few times.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

I'm supposed to call him tonight to know more and if I can go see it in person. I'm in the same area code phone he gave me, i might be close, but area code can be large...
Old 07-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 88bullet
i know all about that boat. i took a long hard look at it before i bought mine. talked to the owner a few times.
so what area is the boat in?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I found! thanks internet! grenville quebec canada... 45 minutes from where I am right now...
Old 07-29-2014, 06:09 PM
Registered

When I talked to him the boat was in Leamington Ontario. The owner name is Duffy.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Local99
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.....

I bid on and won a 1987 Top Gun on Ebay, location listed as Fort Lauderdale. Has the neon cover. Quickly send an email to the seller asking for a copy of the title so that I can send info to bank of which I was pre-approved. A day later I get a call from a Canadian number. Seller says he is in Canada with the boat. Just wire money. 3 days later I get the info and name on title for boat and trailer are completely different than the seller. He says it is his girlfriend and that isn't a problem. Hurry up and wire money.

I said I would come up to Canada with certified check and look at the boat and finalize everything. "I don't want a certified check...wire a deposit or I will sell to someone else".

I offered to come with $3000 cash deposit and the remaining on certified check. He said "ok". Calls me an hour later sounding very paranoid... "Was that you that drove into the lot? I saw NY plates!!" WTF!!??

He dragged his feet on any info I needed. Just wanted a wire transfer. Was real quick on sending bank info though. I caught him in several lies. Turns out the person on the title is a fairly well known athlete. I found her number but haven't called her.

Further investigation (thanks Google) revealed that he had an exotic car business which is now defunct. Probably because he is rude and irrational.

Anyway, I have no idea if a complete scam or someone trying to scramble for cash. He wound up telling me to go screw and re-listed it. I have to fight a Unpaid item mark on my Ebay account but better than dealing with this crap.
I just didn't want anyone here getting scammed and your more than welcome to PM me for more info.
where are you from?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.