Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
trailer with bad numbers from factory; best state to get reg straightened out? >

trailer with bad numbers from factory; best state to get reg straightened out?

Notices

trailer with bad numbers from factory; best state to get reg straightened out?

Old 08-01-2014, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default trailer with bad numbers from factory; best state to get reg straightened out?

I am in new jersey. PA manufacturer, tidewater in Bensalem or Morrisville. issued a cert of origin with 2 numbers wrong. one is last number in last 6 of serial number. I tried to reg and DMV says trailer is owned and reg to somebody else. I called tidewater and they said it isn't their fault, somebody read cert orig wrong. they say they can't issue me a new cert. I hafta go to dealer who sold it. dealer is out of business. so, I need the easiest state to register a trailer with bill of sale only so I can then take that reg back to NJ and get real jersey reg. I guess I also need somebody IN that state to sell it to and buy it back from. thanks for any info...Derek.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Maine, www.staabagency.com
Old 08-01-2014, 09:03 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. In major cities and most states they have officers assigned to auto theft units and have experience in dealing with issues like these. I would recommend finding an officer that's been around a while (decades) and see if they can assist you. It might take a few attempts, calls, or referrals. Also the auto insurance industry has hired many of these former officers and you might find one retired and working for them. It might take extra work on the front end but save you problems on the back end. good hunting.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Registered

Register it a a home-built. I hate dealing with NJ DMV. Might be last ditch option.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/OS-SS-32.pdf
Old 08-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Or.... Takes less time than driving to the dmv and they will overnight the plates to you. Even if I have a trailer with no issue, I don't even bother going to the dmv. Wish I could register my truck the same way .
Old 08-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think the DMV would agree to "correct" The title to the correct num when they re-registered it with photographic proof. Ask for the Mgr of the branch.

Wannabe
Old 08-01-2014, 02:52 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say that is the manufacturers problem. Take the trailer to them, they are responsible for their dealers actions in a situation like this,
Old 08-01-2014, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the manufacturer said numbers were right. they say buyer wrote numbers down wrong and that implies DMV never looked at buyers paperwork? right... DMV doesn't keep the cert orig or an image of it or I would be golden. I had an investigator from NJDMV out to check vin on trailer sticker. NJDMV is now cracking down on NEW homemade trailers. hafta provide pics, receipts,etc. fortunately you can still renew homemade trailer reg's you had laying around for 5 years or so. but if dmv is getting so hot for homemade, it is just a matter of time till they have cops running trailer plates as they go by. I have heard maine is best state. now I need a maineiac...

Last edited by dereknkathy; 08-01-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an easy fix. I have had to do this on a few trailers. Call me. 410-591-5723.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:11 AM
Registered

Your local PD should be able to do a VIN check and certify the VIN. Then they will give you proper paperwork to use at DMV.