Notices

ford brake controller

Old 08-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ford brake controller

just picked up my 2006 F 350 the brake controller is not going to work with the electric over hydraulic system so is there an actual pigtail that is a spare or do you disconnect the brake controller from Ford and leave it in the hole. I keep reading about a wiring harness that will snap into place but it seems that the 2006 2007 is a whole nother animal. People are suggesting prodigy 2Salma are talking about the. Tekonsha ?

Wbat works?
Old 08-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

What is the EoH system on your trailer? (who is it made by?)
Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by plumbers crack
People are suggesting prodigy 2Salma are talking about the. Tekonsha ?
Yes, that is what they're talking about...

http://www.tekonsha.com

When I installed a Carlisle EoH system on our old trailer I remember a significant note in the instructions and I was able to find it on-line. If you are using a Carlisle system maybe this add on module will help? Maybe check with Ford as well, there might be something they have that'll also fix the issue rather than installing an entirely new controller.

FORD® AND TEKONSHA PRODIGY® CONTROLLER FIX - Carlisle® has introduced an add- on module that makes the Ford® OE in-dash controller compatible with the HydraStarTM line of trailer brake actuators. The “HydraStarTM Controller Adaptor Module” (model HBA-CAM) unit eliminates the false error messages* and HydraStarTM “clicking” generated by the Ford® Tow Command controller, an option on 2005 and later F250/350 pickups. The HBA-CAM does not effect the operation of the Ford® controller. Braking performance is unchanged. The HBA-CAM unit also eliminates false error messages generated by the
Tekonsha Prodigy®. The HBA-CAM is for use with Carlisle® HydraStarsTM only. It is not designed to be used with other manufacturer’s trailer brake actuators. The unit can be purchased online at www.carlislebrake.com, by contacting Carlisle® at (812) 336-3811, or by contacting your local HydraStarTM distributor.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited by TW720HVY; 08-04-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Registered

Dexter pump
Old 08-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Registered

I originally had a Dodge 1500 crew cab which I was going to use just to get to the ramp and back when I needed to put high test in the boat I have. Revaluated that and bought the 2006 F 350 dually crew cab had I known what I was going to get involved with I would have bought a complete package and save myself the aggravation thank you for all your help guys. Thought all pumps wired up the same?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

I would suggest contacting Dexter directly.
http://www.dexteraxle.com/contact_us

A good friend has 2 - 2006 Ford Superdutys, and they both work fine with his EoH Dexter setup on his boat trailer; as well as his straight electric brakes on his work trailers. I think you could have a fuse out or something. Have you tried the truck with a different trailer?

You have two leads on you round connector on your truck that are significant. One is 12V+ constant, and one is variable DCV+ pending braking input. They should be marked on the cover of the round plug. Test these with a DVM and make sure your truck is operating properly.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-04-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Registered

Yeah, I agree with Sydwayz... don't give up just yet. It may be a simple fix.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Registered

Just pulled apart dashboard looking for the so called quick connect LOL !!! Ok its not there but while putting everything back together I found a group of wires behind fuse box. A blue,white,red,and black clean cut. There were also about a dozen smaller guage wires with a color code and abbreviation on the tag those were capped in black shrink. I hooked up the controller and spliced it in> NOTHING lit up . I opened the hood and looked at upper fuse box and just above that the same 4 wires never connected.
Went to auto parts store bought tester and mini fuses. Found 30 amp fuse blown. I have to drive back later to the trailer and see what happens now that the fuse is replaced. The added controller is dead unless I hook up power to it and then what do I do with the Ford Controller in case the fuse was not the problem ?? BTW the blown fuse was inside truck in dash not engine bay.

Confusing to me as this is my 4th or dually, and the last ford pulled the skater with electric brakes but not electric over hydraulic on that one. I will post in a little while what happens.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Registered

[ATTACH=CONFIG]527407[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ford brake controller-0804141653a.jpg  
Old 08-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Registered

Ok new fuse did not solve the problem. lights work and pump runs when breakaway is pulled. Fuse did not blow either. I guess I can get my tester out and see if the blue wire has anything going to it? Not sure why these ford controllers dont work with EOH. I mean if you have 1-12 volts at the blue that tells the pump to run and how hard correct??
Why is it different with electric brakes??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.