Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
81 Formula, both alternators do not work? >

81 Formula, both alternators do not work?

Notices

81 Formula, both alternators do not work?

Old 08-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 81 Formula, both alternators do not work?

81 Formula, both alternators do not work. The batteries read 12.11 volts while off. Running they pull it down to 12.02 volts. Both alternators seems to be doing nothing. I took them to 2 different auto stores and they were not able to check the alternators due to not being able reference a vehicle (ford 1994 etc..). Any ideas to get these tested? Or know what the problem is.
Thanks,

Cyrus
Old 08-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took it to another auto parts and their COMPUTER cant do it either this is ridiculous.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

I am assuming that you have a Mando style alternator. If this is true there are 4 connections needed for the ALT to work. The Orange is the charge lead which goes back to the battery via the starter connection. The red/Purple is always hot along with the Orange. Red/Purple comes from the main breaker on the engine. The purple wire is the excitation lead, and then there is a ground.

To see if your ALT is working, first see if you have 12V on the Orange and Red/Purple wires. If 12V is present, turn key to run and see if 12V becomes present when key is turned on. Make sure there is a ground connected to the ALT. If all is good, the ALT should work with the engine running, if not take it to a rebuilder and they can usually rebuild for under $40. Or buy the parts your self and do it, not hard, just remove and replace bearings and diode packs/regulators.

With your ALT not charging it would be normal for the voltage in the battery to drop a bit by the engine using it to run.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

Those jip joint auto parts stores are a joke. There is an alternator/starter shop in almost every town. Take them there and the will fix you up.