Notices

Surge brake conversion.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surge brake conversion.

Bought a bigger boat 38' on a triple axle Eagle trailer with surge brakes. Trailer pulls good and stops effortlessly, the issue is when you pull away from a traffic light the tongue stretches and goes bang everytime.
It's well greased but it's driving me nuts, was wondering if anyone has done an electric over surge brake conversion, does it cure the banging and was wondering the approximate cost. Thanks for any help. Peter.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Registered

I did an Eagle triple axle trailer conversion from three axle surge brakes to an EOH. Welded up the coupler to eliminate the movement, and installed the Electric Over Hydraulic Dexter system, specifically for drum brakes. It works fantastic and certainly gives a greater margin of operational safety while towing. It is definitely worth the effort and cost.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Registered

EOH is great. I used the Brakerite system from E Trailers and recommend both the part and the place. Not only will you get rid of the jerking and banging when stoping and starting but your brakes will no longer be applied continuously going down hill (I nearly melted a new set of brakes that way). Another problem I had is that if you stop headed downhill and need to back up your trailer brakes are locked. This is a common manuever for us putting the boat back in storage. Not a cheap conversion but not a bad one in the overall scheme of things. You will enjoy towing much more if you do this.

Dan
Old 09-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Yes, an EOH conversion will stop the bang that occurs when the surge brake actuator stretches out on acceleration. You will also find it gives you better control and results in much smoother braking versus surge brakes. One big benefit is that you will have brakes backing down steep ramps which can be a huge benefit.

I did an EOH conversion soon after buying my 292 after several close calls with people pulling out in front of me.

Dave
Old 09-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is the story on my conversion to Brakerite system. If you are familiar with bleeding brakes and wire soldering, you can do the conversion yourself. If not, it's best left to a professional from a safety standpoint.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...tml?highlight=
Old 09-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter, If you are interested in converting yours to EOH, I have a brand new module I will sell you. I bought it thinking mine was bad, but it wasn't, so now I do not need it. I was going to send it back, but if a fellow OSO member is in need of it, I will sell it to you at a very reasonable price if you are interested. It is for a disc brake set up. Troy
Old 09-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help guys. You're right about backing into the water, no brakes and our ramp has some gravel near the drop and my front wheels are locked and I'm getting dragged backwards. Troy appreciate the offer for the module, but I live in Ontario and it's a pain to send it over as I would have to pay duty on it. Customs wants their money to. Thanks again Peter.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:04 PM
Registered

I have been thinking about doing this as well. Can anyone give me a ball park estimate if I do it myself? I have a triple axle Manning with breaks on two of the axles.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

About $850....

$615 - Brake Actuator
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brak.../T4813100.html

$73 - Dual Breakway Battery Kit
http://accessories.etrailer.com/sear...core&view=grid

$145 - Brake Controller...
http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contro...sha/90195.html

$20 - Misc wiring, solder, shrinkwrap, etc
Old 09-15-2014, 01:28 PM
Registered

I should mention (not sure of the tow vehicle that you will be using) that the Ford integrated brake controllers work well with the Brakerite system. I can verify that for 2011 and 2014 trucks so pretty sure all the new ones are good. I imagine this applies to Chevy etc as well.

Dan