Fuel System Fittings >

Fuel System Fittings

Notices

Fuel System Fittings

Old 09-16-2014, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel System Fittings

What are you guys using on the 3/8 fittings to seal the threads in the fuel system?

I bought the new boat about a month ago and it had the holley red pump, the fuel pressure wasn't high enough, and the red pump wasn't sufficient enough on flow. So I got a whole new system with the Holley blue pump and regulator. Installed the system using all -8 AN lines and fittings, and -8 AN to 3/8 for the pump, regulator, and filter. Well my 3/8 are leaking a little at the regulator in and out. I used liquid thread sealant, and you can see little flakes of it like the fuel is eating it. A buddy of mine did both his motors about 2 months ago, and he said it leaked everywhere that liquid thread sealant was used. It works great for water fittings, and oil fittings but seems like it can't stand up to fuel. So my question is what are you guys using to keep these sealed up from leaking? Thanks for the help in advance
Old 09-16-2014, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use teflon tape on NPT fittings, most of my aeromotive fittings are now strait threads with a O-ring seal
Old 09-16-2014, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i use leak lock,best thread sealer i have ever found.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Registered

Hey Mike where did you get your leak lock from? looks like walmart carries it lol
Old 09-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

On a side note: make sure that the fuel pumps are no higher than the gas tank. Holley pumps HATE to lift fuel. I just went through the same thing with my Holley red pump - 3 PSI at the carb because it was mounted about 12" above the gas tank.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Registered

icdedppl got me a ton of it for me from his supply house.he uses it in his hvac business.do a googel search leak lok
Old 09-16-2014, 10:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ealesh33
What are you guys using on the 3/8 fittings to seal the threads in the fuel system?

I bought the new boat about a month ago and it had the holley red pump, the fuel pressure wasn't high enough, and the red pump wasn't sufficient enough on flow. So I got a whole new system with the Holley blue pump and regulator. Installed the system using all -8 AN lines and fittings, and -8 AN to 3/8 for the pump, regulator, and filter. Well my 3/8 are leaking a little at the regulator in and out. I used liquid thread sealant, and you can see little flakes of it like the fuel is eating it. A buddy of mine did both his motors about 2 months ago, and he said it leaked everywhere that liquid thread sealant was used. It works great for water fittings, and oil fittings but seems like it can't stand up to fuel. So my question is what are you guys using to keep these sealed up from leaking? Thanks for the help in advance
i dont know what engine you have in the boat but i do know that the holley blue pumps are junk.id think about switching to aeromotive when the holley craps out and it will be soon.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
On a side note: make sure that the fuel pumps are no higher than the gas tank. Holley pumps HATE to lift fuel. I just went through the same thing with my Holley red pump - 3 PSI at the carb because it was mounted about 12" above the gas tank.
Yea, the fuel pump is mounted right where the mechanical pump was, in my set up it is the best place for it. The problem with the red pump is its only rated to support 440hp, which is why I just replaced it. My fuel pressure is good to go now with the blue pump and regulator. Blue pump is in the exact same spot the red pump was, and I had zero problems on first start up, it started right up no problem. I have it set at 7psi at idle, and it only drops about .5psi at WOT. I think I am going to adjust the pressure down a little actually to about 6-6.5psi at idle so I am 5.5-6psi at WOT.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i dont know what engine you have in the boat but i do know that the holley blue pumps are junk.id think about switching to aeromotive when the holley craps out and it will be soon.
I have a completely stock 525sc
Old 09-16-2014, 12:00 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

I've been using permatex #2 thread sealant since i was just about a teenager.

That was about 1,021 years ago. Plus or minus a few years. I've lost count.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.