502 HO Mag questions >

502 HO Mag questions

Notices

502 HO Mag questions

Old 09-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 HO Mag questions

Can anyone tell me if I will see a difference after the break in mode on a 2014 502 HO Mag 430 hp?
Old 09-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,029 Likes on 1,347 Posts

are you talking a performance improvement ?
Old 09-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Registered

Yes, I am told they are turned down some for the first 20 hours.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,029 Likes on 1,347 Posts

I don't know on a 2014, in my world Mag & HO are two different engines, sorry cant help
Old 09-22-2014, 05:38 AM
Registered

Thanks
So far no one has been able to tell me anything.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:23 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Ervin
Yes, I am told they are turned down some for the first 20 hours.
Have you called Mercury customer service?
Old 09-22-2014, 04:57 PM
Registered

Yes
I haven't been able to get much information from anyone.
It's in the shop now for the first service after the 20 hours.
I should know more after I pick it up.
Thanks for the help.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:58 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Have them run a diagnostic scan of the engine if you think the motor is not performing well. Also PROPER BREAK IN is very important. Also there is testing ports in the exhaust manifolds for O2 readings as well.

Also make sure you are not hitting the Rev limiter at 5150 for the 430 hp MAG HO 8.2 are you ?

Do you have the correct prop and pitch & diameter for your app ?

Is the bottom, outdrive and prop clean - Do not know if you leave boat in the water ?

Is the throttle Plate opening up 100% fully to achieve max throttle & speed ?

Does this motor / boat hit max rpm's at full throttle - RPM range for this app is 4600 - 5000 rpms.

How do you load the boat - weight wise ?

Do you know how to trim the drive and set tabs properly ?

Proper breaking in of the engine needs to been done for fast / proper sealing the piston rings against the cylinder walls, correct wear in of all internal parts, No wash down the cylinder walls with fuel. Long periods of idle can contribute to fuel washing down the cylinder walls, especially during breakin.

Mercruiser recommends no full throttle of the first 10 hours of running this motor and no long idle speeds for the first 10 hrs. They want you shift in gear and run above 1500 rpms when possible if all water conditions permit ( wake zones and other boats again if permitted) . Avoid full throttle starts the first 20 hours, Do not run motor at one constant rpm / speed for long periods - they want to vary engine rpm for 1/4 to 3/4 throttle for the first 10 hours. You have to check the level of the motor oil a lot during the first 20 hrs of breakin. Add if needed the correct motor oil. From 11 to 20 hours full throttle is permitted but for short bursts.

DID YOU BUY THIS BOAT FROM THE Lake Havasu City Boat show. If so I was in this boat.

Last edited by BUP; 09-22-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:33 PM
Registered

Thanks for all that information.
I didn't buy it at that time. We had ours built after the show.
You can see my boat on Coast Motor Group.
It's the white one with flames.
(Everything you said is all factors.)
I just received the boat about a month ago and was able to put a few hours on it. We they tested and sent it to us she had about 6 hours. I finished putting the rest on it, she has about 21-22 hours now.
I have had it pretty much loaded since I got it because everyone wanted to ride.
With 8 adults, full ice chest and about 3/4 tank of fuel I have ran 58 on the GPS Speedo.
When I first took it out I ran for a while and checked the recall and it shows 64.
I am just curious what she may run after the break in mode.
From what I understand the computer is turned down some how.
While it's in the shop he said they will take it out and record the numbers. Then they have a list of things to check as per Mercruiser. Head bolts, engine alignment and pull the drive and inspect.. then change all fluids and program the computer and run it.
The prop is the 24 pitch factory prop.
I will let you know the outcome after I get it back in about two weeks.
Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:43 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry my bad I thought you were having possible running issues and the boat was very slow or lagging as well, as you were looking for performance upgrades

Your motor has the PCM 09 controller and should have the latest calibration but again not really knowing if the motor was a left over from previous years. I understand your boat is 2014, thats the boat / hull year model but the motor could have been manufactured when ever. Just saying

If your dealer is current and using CDS G3 Diagnostic they can prompt to the reflash screen. This will allow them to update your PCM 09 to latest calibration. The CDS G3 has a chart listing all of the current PCM ECT calibrations and IDs They also can view the live data screen as it displays real time running thru out.

As I said there is a testing port in the exhaust elbows in which is used testing catalyst efficiency also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.