Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bravo1 drive goes down, but won't go up. >

Bravo1 drive goes down, but won't go up.

Notices

Bravo1 drive goes down, but won't go up.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Bravo1 drive goes down, but won't go up.

I did a quick search with varied results, but decided to post anyways. '96 Baja 272/502 Bravo1

I've noticed the last couple of times going out that if I drop the drive just a little then it won't go back up unless I drop it even further, and then it will come up. But today I dropped it down and it wouldn't come back up, so I kept dropping it down with no better luck. I can hear the solenoid clicking to come up, but no action.

I found the green and blue wires leading to the pump and checked those connections and they seemed to be good. The trim gauge has been pegged in the up position since I got the boat last year, but just figured that it was a bad gauge.

I took the trim sender and trim limiter on the drive apart to see if I could find anything problematic, but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Any thoughts on where to begin?
Old 09-28-2014, 03:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need a new trin solenoid..they go bad ..
Old 09-28-2014, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the solenoid is clicking chances are the problem is in the motor. They are very easy to take apart. Out of the 4 I've taken apart this year 3 had the brushes stuck in the slide. Little electrical cleaner some Emory cloth and good to go...
Old 09-28-2014, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

You can jump out the solenoid to test. If it goes one way it I am betting solenoid.

Either way simple fix

Last edited by JRider; 09-28-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

same motor runs drive both ways. same brushes reverse polarity. uses 2 diff solenoids to fire trim motor. up solenoid is the problem. takes more power to raise drive, burns contacts out faster. if no solenoid click on up check trim limit sender-contacts.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 09-28-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

When I jump the solenoid it goes right up. I heard that the trim switches go bad causing the same symptoms, but those can be bypassed by tying the two wires together coming up to the pump, and I tried that with no change. New solenoid on the way.