Gauges Cycle/Sweep >

Gauges Cycle/Sweep

Notices

Gauges Cycle/Sweep

Old 10-15-2014, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauges Cycle/Sweep

My livorsi analog gauges will randomly sweep and reset just like when you first key on the ignition. This is a smart craft boat that interfaces with a the gauges through an AGI box. Both sides do it randomly but never both sides at the same time. No rhyme or reason and only when the engine is running. I have tried both sides with another AGI box that I know is good from another boat and it still does it. My Vessel viewing not affected by it and I also have my Garmin interfaced to the Smartcraft with the gateway box and it is not effected either. They all read accurately, just very annoying when they seep/reset while under way. All wire appear good and tight. Any ideas?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:35 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Check your grounds, just an idea
Old 10-15-2014, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I know electronic gremlins are hard to pinpoint- but from my experience even though a wire is "tight" there could be some minor corrosion that has a huge impact. I would clean all the contacts and most especially the ground or ground wires and then see what happens. I had an issue with a volt meter that drove me nuts - everything was tighter than a drum and the gauge would peg-- upon removal of the connectors on the gage there was a very slight white scale - I gently buffed this stuff off with some very high grip sand paper -- emory paper and haven't had a problem since.

all the best

3pointstar
Old 10-15-2014, 11:37 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Also I heard that some gauges across the board can have an loose or weak ground within the gauge itself.

IMO sounds like a voltage spike or a ground issue as well. Check connections for shorts, moisture, corrosion issues and make sure you have good solid contacts with all the connections.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback guys, but I've tried adding dedicated grounds and alternate power supplies. It looks like you guys are all dealing with older live wire to the engine setups. I really believe it has something more to do with the smart raft interface and looking for someone with good knowledge and experience with it.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Turner, The same thing happens on my boat. It is driving me crazy.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:19 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Actually I do have OEM Merc training on smartcraft. I do not see that many Livorsi linked to Merc smartcrafts systems. I have seen 6 in the past 3 or 4 years total. IMO they are hard to see in the daytime for the digital readout portion of the gauges.

One thing that comes to mind here. Do you have the red wire(s) from the tach ? Or what ever color your 12 V wires are ?

On multiple engine apps the 12 V / red or whatever color you have - that wire MUST connect to the corresponding engine starting battery to the engine. Do not connect all red wires (12V) together and or to common battery(s) they need to be a separate connection per correct tach to correct engine to those batteries as all need to be separate from eachother.

Next - on 1 of the engines you need to disconnect the 3 pin connector that is attached to the 10 or might be the 14 pin connector so the engines are not back feeding 12 v from each other.

I would have to think about other problems that would cause this if I am way off base here that would come to mind.

Last edited by BUP; 10-15-2014 at 09:25 PM.