Notices

Gas Ssteam Out Of Whipple Chargers

Old 10-15-2014, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Ssteam Out Of Whipple Chargers

Hi there,

I'm wondering if this could be normal.

I have a 37 active Thunder from 1999 with Whipple charged 502 MPI's. Since i bolt on the whipple Chargers ( it was realy not before)) they steam out a lot of gas.
It' so much that it feel like you will die in the boat when you stay a night in it. If you are in the engine compartment with the Head down you feel giddy after two minutes.. Now i allways tape the intake but the gasoline smell ist allways present, much less but still present. I don't smell it while driving the boat and i can't find any leaks in the hoses or pipes. When the boat stand for a while uncovert the smell goes of. No different between tanks full or empty. I think it realy come out off the chargers.

Some one have a idea how i can stop this?

Greatings from Germany

Hans
Old 10-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

Very well could be your fuel tank is leaking.Block off your fuel vent hose and make sure the fill tube is closed tightly .

Now insert no more than 3 lbs of air with a gauge to monitor it into the line that feeds the motor from the tank.

If it will not hold pressure you have a leak in your tank.

Be careful

You meant to say Fumes not steam correct?

Last edited by tommymonza; 10-15-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Please do not put 10psi of air into the fuel tank it is not a pressure vessel, you will destroy the tank.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

3-5lbs max
Old 10-15-2014, 06:02 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,090 Likes on 1,392 Posts

Raw fuel in the intake can be smelled. If no external leaks, wonder if an injector or two is leaking down.

If it has a mechanical lift pump, if diaphragm ruptures, the fuel will travel up the yellow line into the intake also.

Just possible thoughts.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:08 PM
Registered

Do not use more than 3 lbs pressure

Last edited by tommymonza; 10-15-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:08 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,090 Likes on 1,392 Posts

BTW: Is your Whipple Kit the old style that bolts to the factory MPI intake or the newer style that has it's own intake manifold ?
Old 10-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Registered

I had a very very tiny pinhole leak in my inflatables unaccessible under floor tank. Very little gas escaped because the leak was in the top and you could not even see the hole it was so small .But the fumes were thick

A little gas goes a long way
Old 10-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kvogt
Please do not put 10psi of air into the fuel tank it is not a pressure vessel, you will destroy the tank.
I corrected my earlier post to be sure he does not get confused.

Thank you for catching that Most likely over in Germany he has been in bed for hours and has not read what i posted yet.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Raw fuel in the intake can be smelled. If no external leaks, wonder if an injector or two is leaking down.

If it has a mechanical lift pump, if diaphragm ruptures, the fuel will travel up the yellow line into the intake also.

Just possible thoughts.
It seems like he is experiencing a very strong whiff of fumes all the way forward in the cabin this is why I suspected the fuel tank and maybe the timing of installing the Whipples and smelling gas fumes was a just a coincidence.

If an injector was leaking how much fuel would bleed in before the pressure bled off?

How long would it take for the fuel puddle to evaporate in a hot engine and wouldn't the motor start rough and burn rich if started again soon after shutdown?

If he is truly sealing off the intake wouldn't that totally isolate his gas fume smell also?

After rereading his post i think he is sealing off the intake vents to the bilge not the intake on the motor.

Last edited by tommymonza; 10-15-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.