Ebay water jacketed headers? >

Ebay water jacketed headers?

Notices

Ebay water jacketed headers?

Old 10-20-2014, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay water jacketed headers?

Has anyone tried these headers. Stainless like CMI for less than half the cost. I know I it says no classifieds but I'm not selling them myself but if someone has had any experience with them good or bad i would love to know.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JET-BOAT-DOU...937332&vxp=mtr
I did email them and they said...
"We make these, they are NOT identical to CMI.... ours are made of 321 and 304 stainless. We also have some that are ceramic coated.... but these are not.
The biggest difference with these is the price point."

Anyone know about these? Are they a lower grade of stainless?
Thanks, John.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:08 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I think its a company in North Carolina that makes these headers for FTG Motorsports or maybe FTG owns them or vice versa. Its been talked about up here before. I even talked to the company in NC but do not remember their name at the moment. Maybe some can post the links about them.

Last edited by BUP; 10-20-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:21 PM
BUP
Banned

here is who makes the headers.

www.xs-power.com/other-specialty-marine.htm
Old 10-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

I see five pieces in one tube, every place there is a weld its a potential leak, then you lost an engine, not being a downer, JMO, other headers are mandrel bent single piece tubes inner and outer, good luck
Old 10-20-2014, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
I see five pieces in one tube, every place there is a weld its a potential leak, then you lost an engine, not being a downer, JMO, other headers are mandrel bent single piece tubes inner and outer, good luck
When these type of headers leak is it always at the welds?
Old 10-20-2014, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

I've never owned a pair, so I cant say for certain, but any time your joining two pieces of metal together the human factor comes into play
Old 10-21-2014, 12:05 PM
BUP
Banned

no piece joining of anything is always stronger than 5 piece joining together, your material is only as strong as the weakest link. also welding together and or many seams in the material always will promote corrosion in those areas.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't be as worried about welded seams leaking on the outside pipes. If the inner pipes are mandrel bent instead of welded together they should be more durable. Of course, you still have areas like flange and collector attachment points that bring the human element back into play. Leaks to the outside are more of an annoyance than anything. It's when those inner pipes start leaking that you have big problems.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmercer38
When these type of headers leak is it always at the welds?
No, the pipes themselves can crack from age and fatigue, especially if something happens to disrupt water flow and the inner pipes get overheated.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:47 PM
BUP
Banned

have no idea if this company inner tube exhaust portion is mandrel bent or not. I know Lighting headers are mandrel bent inner tube but pieced together welded on the outer tube portion - water jacketed side. If the seams from the welder have a lot of distortion and or porosity it will form corrosion over time. keep in mind the by products of combustion is corrosive all by itself. Combustion is a form of condensation and acids among other by particles (emissions).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.