Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Antifreeze for Winterize Mercury 700's? >

Antifreeze for Winterize Mercury 700's?

Notices

Antifreeze for Winterize Mercury 700's?

Old 11-07-2014, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Antifreeze for Winterize Mercury 700's?

New boat with twin Merc. 700 SCI's. I am going to do first winterization and not really sure that I should run antifreeze through the raw water system. Manual says optional. The engines have the original stock headers which do not leak(as far as I know) but I want them dry and do not really want to drain antifreeze into the bilge which is pristine white. I like to over do things, but I think just going to run the fogging solution and drain the raw water systems. Thinking right or wrong?
Old 11-07-2014, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Your Latitude provides you some level of protection, I used to use RV anti-freeze until I discovered it gells in the water passages. I now drain everything and pour a small amount of automotive antifreeze in to mix with whatever water is remaining. It's hard to get all the water out of the block and oil cooler. I keep my boat in a heated garage, but if my furnace quits, the outdoor temps are in the serious negative range where I'm at.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:12 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wrong...even if you drain the raw water system and blow it out with compressed air (as I do), it's nearly impossible to get all of the water out. Any of that water freezes inside coolers or other components and bursts something, you will be a very unhappy camper. You should be able to put a small bucket under the drain plug on the headers to catch the antifreeze so it doesn't run into the bilge when you drain it. If not, you probably could get a big funnel, attach a hose and let that run into a bucket or run the hose through the drain hole. Either way, don't short change the winterizing process...
Old 11-08-2014, 04:26 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the opinions. I'll do it right with the antifreeze and sleep better at night. I use the Extreme Bilge heaters in my boats anyway. But I have to prep for the rare power outage. The bilge heater is a nice piece for everyone. It is USCG approved with a thermostat. It seems to help reduce condensation and corrosion in the bilge. In KY we constantly see saw above and below 32 all winter.