Smartcraft Alarm >

Smartcraft Alarm

Notices

Smartcraft Alarm

Old 11-27-2014, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smartcraft Alarm

Anybody have any idea what is causing this and/or how to fix it?

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 11-27-2014, 10:47 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Very hard to touch this question as all important info is missing from your post.. What in the world do have? I am sure its a Mercury or Mercruiser. So do you have Merc Opti or Verado outboard or a Mercruiser engine or Mercury Racing engine.? What model ?. What year and serial # of engine(s).

Does this stored fault put your engine in guardian mode, Do you have any warning horns / beeps going on ? If yes describe it. Does the engine run normal ? Are you able to reach MAX rpms while running?

The reason I ask is because depending what you have and how well or NOT well the engine runs this fault could mean a real problem and possible effecting the IAT sensor or it can mean totally nothing. Its all depending what you have and whats going on with your engine.

have you scanned the motor ? It would be a good idea to get your motor scanned especially using the Merc CDS.

Last edited by BUP; 11-27-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Registered

The engines are 2006 496mags, they run great, they are not going into Gardian mode. You are looking at my sc5000 screen... Just kind of annoying.

Last edited by alindquist; 11-28-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alindquist
The engines are 2006 496mags, they run great, they are not going into Gardian mode. You are looking at my sc5000 screen... Just kind of annoying.
You should have an outside air temp sensor flush mounted somewhere at the dash. The alarm is likely due to that sensor or the wiring/connections going to it.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:11 AM
BUP
Banned

That is correct from above and the sensor itself could be blocked for reading outside air temp. Most likely a connection problem. Also the sensor could be located or fallen under the dash.

Also the reasons I asked what did you have for engine(s) and running conditions is I have heard but have not confirmed in person by myself that your code could also be triggered by the IAT or MAT sensor if the engine has that actual sensor. IAT = Intake air temperature sensor. MAT = manifold air temperature sensor. The 496 has a MAT sensor.

IMPORTANT NOTE: MAT sensor / circuit problem will set a fault that reads AIR TEMP CKT HI or AIR TEMP CKT LO but I have heard AMBIENT TEMP CKT HI or LO could mean the samething showing up on the smartcraft. FYI.

Also another reason I asked did you scan the engine especially with Merc CDS as this might show the fault code / listing per manual listing.

Someday I would like to confirm this 100 % for a possible fault or not at all. As with yours I would not rule out a MAT sensor problem either from what I heard but again would like to confirm this 100 % as a problem to your code / fault how it is listed on your smartcraft vessel view. .

The reply from above poster says your "alarm" are you getting an" alarm" as well or is it just the listing fault displayed on smart craft vessel view ?

Last edited by BUP; 11-29-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:20 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info guys.. BUP, I'm not getting an audible alarm, just what you see on the screen (the smartcraft calls it an alarm). The other thing is it will happen with either engine and it can happen if I just turn the key on (not the engine). The outside temp reading is all over the place which leads me to believe that my problem could be the sensor. This really just started happening since it cooled off. Sometimes it doesn't give me a reading, sometime it does but it's never right. I'm going to dig a little deeper this afternoon and I'll let you know what I find. I wish I had a scanner but I don't, it's on the list of stuff to buy. Any recommendations?
Old 11-29-2014, 11:10 AM
BUP
Banned

You do not need a scan tool or the engine scanned to figure out and or pin point this problem. It will most likely just show you the same fault as what your vessel view is showing. That is good that you posted this info about the details of the problem. That's why I ask so many questions to help pin point exactly what it could be as far as a problem. I did not think you were getting alarms / beeps sounding but always want to confirm 100 %. If you were then you have a problem more than the air temp sensor from smartcraft.

I am 100 % sure your problem is what post # 4 replied with about the air temp sensor for smartcraft.. IT IS NOT THE MAT SENSOR PROPBLEM here on this one. You need to get the wiring diagram out for your exact vessel view smartcraft unit to trace / follow those wires and connections to that temp sensor. It could be the sensor itself as well or even disconnected. Also like I said the sensor itself could be blocked totally with whatever. If no smartcraft manual for your app find the sensor and trace all the wires from it back.

The tiny sensor can be round and small almost looks like a hidden mic that can be placed at the dash area. I have seen a lot of them install - driver side outside edge of the dash. Not where the gauges are installed but the outside dash area. I also seen some under the dash and some wraped up in tie wraps. The other type of smartcraft air temp sensor I have seen looks like a small flat pod that can be mounted to a flat surface.

Last edited by BUP; 11-29-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:32 PM
BUP
Banned

Any updates on this as I like to keep track for the problems that get fixed . Thanks.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Registered

It kind of fixed itself, I ran the boat last weekend & it never went off. However it was about 70 degrees & the smartcraft was reading 11... So I'm guessing it's the sensor, I'm gonna take a look at it again tomorrow.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:07 PM
BUP
Banned

As long as it can read within the parameters of the temp range that was calibrated , it will not sent the fault code nor the fault code displayed on the screen. Sounds like the temp sensor to me as well. I was just checking in. That's it. Good luck with it and report the fix when you have a chance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.