Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Pulled one of my gimbals and the transom is in great shape! Do I still replace it? >

Pulled one of my gimbals and the transom is in great shape! Do I still replace it?

Notices

Pulled one of my gimbals and the transom is in great shape! Do I still replace it?

Old 12-01-2014, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Pulled one of my gimbals and the transom is in great shape! Do I still replace it?

I am preparing for my TRS to Kaama swap and assumed I would need to replace the transom. Not because of any sings of wet or rot but simply based on what I have read on here regarding these older boats. I removed one of the transom assemblies and I am amazed at how good it looks. It appears the hole has been coated with an epoxy or something. The wood under it is in great shape. I think the previous owner had a transom put in this??

Now the million dollar question, do I replace the transom anyway or just plug the TRS holes and prepare for the Kaama rigging?

As everyone knows replacing a transom is a massive amount of work and don't really want to do it if I don't have to.

Thoughts?

Old 12-02-2014, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Transoms are a HUGE amount of work, I am not sure what KAAMA transom cutout looks like but I assume it is different than TRS. At minimum you would have to make aluminum or stainless adapter plates/hole blockoffs, they could double as access panels to the back of the motor and trans also.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not bother replacing if your happy with the inspection and will feel comfortable on the water. If there is a known issue and everything is out, then it would be a good time for piece of mind. and more solid bite for the new drives. Just my $0.02...
Old 12-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
Transoms are a HUGE amount of work, I am not sure what KAAMA transom cutout looks like but I assume it is different than TRS. At minimum you would have to make aluminum or stainless adapter plates/hole blockoffs, they could double as access panels to the back of the motor and trans also.
The kaama cutout is actually very small (5" hole with a 8" bolt pattern around it) and it's really low in the hull. I will definetly have to fill the TRS cutouts along with the exhaust and a bunch of other bolt holes. The other gimbal comes off this weekend, I will see what that side looks like!
Thanks
Jim
Old 12-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Local99
I would not bother replacing if your happy with the inspection and will feel comfortable on the water. If there is a known issue and everything is out, then it would be a good time for piece of mind. and more solid bite for the new drives. Just my $0.02...
Boy I am really torn! I will do some more investigation.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Just did the same inspection on my Donzi 22. Removed everything to get a good look at transom and fix gimbal. Transom is solid so I sealed it up some more with epoxy and re-assembled. No need to replace.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Why replace if its good and solid? Patch your TRS cutouts with a good staggered piece repair and go. Plenty of boats have had drive cutouts filled and recut for different application without having a total transom replaced.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scarabman
Why replace if its good and solid? Patch your TRS cutouts with a good staggered piece repair and go. Plenty of boats have had drive cutouts filled and recut for different application without having a total transom replaced.
Yep. What he said. My grandpa's favorite line was "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Old 12-14-2014, 06:05 PM
Registered

Finally got the port gimbal off and this side is a site for sore eyes! A transom it is I guess!

Old 12-14-2014, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

I am in the same boat. I just gutted my hull. 2 sheets of marine plywood $150, 5 gallons of vinylesther resin + 10 yards of 1708 + 10t yards of csm was $340. So for $500 you can be back to brand new. Just do it, seal every hole with 5200, and never question your transom again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.