Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New boat soon, 32' BT, 29' Scarab, 31' Scarab, or another Formula?? >

New boat soon, 32' BT, 29' Scarab, 31' Scarab, or another Formula??

Notices

New boat soon, 32' BT, 29' Scarab, 31' Scarab, or another Formula??

Old 01-01-2015, 01:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New boat soon, 32' BT, 29' Scarab, 31' Scarab, or another Formula??

Hey all, its time to move up to something a bit bigger, so my Formula 242 is gonna go up for sale, and I'm wanting to step up to something in the 30' +/- range... I boat at LOTO a lot, but also do other lakes and the river a lot, so it has to be able to be trailored year round. I have a 3/4 ton Surburban 4wd with an 8.1, so my tow vehicle can handle whatever. Ive always been a fan of big power single engine boats, but the security of having two engines, and capability of being able to achieve decent cruising speeds with more mild engines is starting to change my mind. Also I think having a heavy hull boat would make LOTO a bit better. I absolutely love the ride of my Formula, especially for a 24', so I Definately don't want to downgrade as far as build quality and hull rigidity. My price range will probably be in the low to mid 20's, so I know it won't get me anything to die for, and I may have to do some serious hunting, but I'm sure I can find something decent. My favorites that I'm keeping an eye out for are any 29'+ Formula with twins (preferably newer then my 89'), a nicer looking 32' Black Thunder, 29' Scarabs (single big block or twin small blocks), or a 31' Scarab Excel (really like!), or any Bullit or Cafe Racer if I could swing it! Not expecting any speed demon or anything, but I gotta at LEAST get 65 and id be happy. Any owners of these would like to chime in I'd love to hear anything you got, it's so much harder picking a boat cause you can't just swing in and test drive 5 at a time so easily! Lol lets hear it!
Old 01-01-2015, 01:16 PM
Registered

Anyone?? Not one person on here had a black thunder, scarab, or bigger Formula huh? Lol
Old 01-01-2015, 01:26 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

HO'S

Hang Over's
Old 01-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

There are many with better hull rigidity than formula. Formula with a couple through bolts and plexus is middle of the road. Better than no trough bolts but some of the upper tier(IMO) manufacturers do a better job. Fountain and I think cig both glass the hull and deck together. Much more rigid. I'd look for a manufacturer who does that. I'm not sure who all does it but those 2 are a start.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Registered

Also I'm not downing formula. I had one and liked it a lot. Just saying there are better out there.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:10 PM
Registered

Sounds like your going to get a boat with TRS Drives in that price range.Bravo boats fetch more money.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:07 PM
Registered

From most of what I've been seeing so far, I think ill be able to find a scarab with bravos, possibly a Formula with bravos too... if I can find a late 80s or newer Cafe or Bullit, I'll settle with TRS drives all day, as long as it isn't filled with wood grain interior! Lol And yeah I know the fountains are Definately good quality, but I really want as much boat as possible, and the interior and effective hull on fountains is obviously on the small side (still good boats and damn fast, so no need to start the 38' Fountain = 33' of boat argument). But if I find a good Fever for a good price I would Definately check it out
Old 01-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgearhead454
From most of what I've been seeing so far, I think ill be able to find a scarab with bravos, possibly a Formula with bravos too... if I can find a late 80s or newer Cafe or Bullit, I'll settle with TRS drives all day, as long as it isn't filled with wood grain interior! Lol And yeah I know the fountains are Definately good quality, but I really want as much boat as possible, and the interior and effective hull on fountains is obviously on the small side (still good boats and damn fast, so no need to start the 38' Fountain = 33' of boat argument). But if I find a good Fever for a good price I would Definately check it out
A 35 Cafe racer might be stretching it for a suburban. I wouldn't cross a 10 meter or 35 Fountain off the list. 31 Scarab is a nice boat, 311 Formula, etc.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:39 PM
Registered

A clean looking 32 fever (in all reality 29-30ft boat) just popped up on Facebook at 20 with trailer I think
Old 01-01-2015, 09:54 PM
Registered

The all white 32' fever on PBSS for 20k?? Yeah that is an amazing deal, if I had mine sold already I would be on that like sink on chit. About the towing a Cafe with the suburban, (Cause that would be my #1 boat of choice obviously), what is the weight of a loaded Cafe? I tow my buddys 32' Outlaw on a Triple axle trailer and it does amazing actually, the hydroboost stops us on a dime, and the 8.1 only has an intake, exhaust & tune, and rips it around like nothing. I don't know the weight of a fully loaded OL, and I know cigs are heavy, but i guess I thought it could handle it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.