Machining Fuel Rails >

Machining Fuel Rails

Notices

Machining Fuel Rails

Old 01-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Machining Fuel Rails

I am looking into making my own fuel rails from blank rail stock for my 502 MPI motor. After I have completed drilling for my injectors etc. should I have the rails anodized to prevent corrosion form the 10% ethanol fuel?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Registered

You said drilling for the injectors. You'll probably want a better surface finish than that...reaming would be the minimum I'd think.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cole2534
You said drilling for the injectors. You'll probably want a better surface finish than that...reaming would be the minimum I'd think.
Yes, thats another detail I havent quite figured out yet. Any tips you may have are appreciated.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:48 PM
Registered

Roller burnishing would be the best but probably cost prohibitive. You could always ream one, fit a test plug, and then setup a pressure test. Would only take a few AN adapters to hook it to an air compressor, gas bottle, whatever.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

You don't have to replace them, unless you really want to. We modify the rails so that they can support over 900 hp.(requires larger injectors) It all depends on which version rail you have. Some are better than others. What year is the engine? Is it a Mefi 1 or 3?
Eddie
Old 01-13-2015, 05:32 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought some #8 fuel rail off ebay and had my machinist cut the holes and tap the ends.. They have not leaked since I had them done in 2009.. I think he put them in the mill and just cut each hole for the injector?? I looked for a picture of them off the motor, but could not find one..
Old 01-13-2015, 06:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
You don't have to replace them, unless you really want to. We modify the rails so that they can support over 900 hp.(requires larger injectors) It all depends on which version rail you have. Some are better than others. What year is the engine? Is it a Mefi 1 or 3?
Eddie
It is a MEFI 1. I have already machined larger the #7 hole and fed the rail from both ends per your suggestions Eddie (Thanks). The reason I was thinking about going to twin rails is that I pinched a couple of O-rings on my larger injectors last time I installed the single rail. That and I like to tinker around with things and thought twin rails would be a fun project.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:07 AM
Registered

[ATTACH=CONFIG]543886[/ATTACH]

Thanks again for another great idea Eddie Young. I used your ideas on my fuel rail. It turned out great !!
Attached Thumbnails Machining Fuel Rails-023.jpg  
Old 08-05-2015, 08:37 AM
Registered

Looks nice and tight!