Notices

5th Wheel or Hitch Trailering

Old 02-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th Wheel or Hitch Trailering

Hello,

I'm getting a new stepped hull V-bottom boat and new trailer built for it, and have never towed a boat this size before: 38', so I'm wondering what the advantages & disadvantages are via towing with a 5th wheel setup VS a regular hitch ball. Since it's going to be a new trailer, I'd like to have built whatever is best. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on the weight of the boat, you can tow more with a 5th wheel / goose neck trailer than a hitch style, the ratings are a lot less for hitch towing capacities with the more tongue weight that's added.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

At 38 ft I would just go with a regular trailer. I have 3 gooseneck trailers here on the farm and I'm always towing with one of them so I know the advantages of towing with one. When I bought my 37 I was wondering the same thing you are and everyone told me to go with the bumper hitch as you will kill the resale if you don't. I don't really think you can make much of an argument for the gooseneck until you get up over 42 ft .when you need the maneuverability and added towing capacity.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:34 PM
Registered

Ok, the weight of the boat dry is 11,500, and with fuel, trailer, etc., I'm around 14ish, so I'm not too concerned about towing capacity. Its more a question of backing visibility and launch-ability on steeper boat ramps, without dragging the tongue with a regular hitch setup. Are there advantages to 5th wheel there? Thank you.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:36 PM
Registered

Ok, so towing capacity are really the main issues/advantages utilizing a 5th wheel I guess. I'm just wondering about visibility and launch advantages. I guess I'm concerned about dragging the tongue on steeper ramps.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Registered

I don't think the rail height is different on bumper or gooseneck. Where you'll drag the trailer on a steep ramp is not at the hitch, but half way between the hitch and the axles. Not sure it will make a difference.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I've been stuck on the ramp twice with a 38 donzi zx, bumper pull. I just got a little higher hitch and made long block/ramps just in case. I like the gooseneck, but resale is tough many will pick another boat over yours for that reason alone, and if your truck goes down hope someone has a gooseneck hitch in a truck you can borrow. Easy to find another bumper pull truck
Old 02-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart
I don't think the rail height is different on bumper or gooseneck. Where you'll drag the trailer on a steep ramp is not at the hitch, but half way between the hitch and the axles. Not sure it will make a difference.
It's further forward than halfway, and the 5th wheel will raise up sooner as the truck crests the peak of the ramp, as the bumper pull will be still coming up for a while.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:59 PM
Registered

Wow, all great input from everyone. Thank you so much!

I'm not too concerned about resale, and so that's not in issue either with re-selling the truck or the trailer/boat. Very good points about being stranded and towing the trailer though. I do have great towing insurance to that's mitigated as well. I think I'll get some input from the trailer fabricator as well. With all this great info, I'm confidant in making the right decision. Thanks again all.!!
Old 02-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Registered

Search Myco trailer resto on here. I converted my trailer to a 5th wheel and love it. Rides and pulls 100% better. With a bumper pull your rear truck axel is basically the fulcrum of a lever. If you have to swerve on the road it's amplified in the opposite direction. Same with bumps vertically. I vote 5th wheel regardless of weight or length. Feel free to pm me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.