Notices

truck camper top ????

Old 02-14-2015, 02:38 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Default truck camper top ????

looking for advice: I've never had a camper top but am looking for one. F350 dually, 8 ft bed and the truck is rarely used unless it's hauling the boat or a Toyhauler to the racetrack with gear in the bed. I think I want one with a raised top to help direct air over the boat or trailer as well as more space for tools and spares at the racetrack. Leer makes a model, 122, that a local dealer has for about $1700 but I can't find much about them, or any other brands. for those that have them, what do I need to know or be aware of?

Dodge pic from website but mine is a 2007 white F350 crew cab dually.
Attached Thumbnails truck camper top ????-122_dodge.jpg  
Old 02-14-2015, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
looking for advice: I've never had a camper top but am looking for one. F350 dually, 8 ft bed and the truck is rarely used unless it's hauling the boat or a Toyhauler to the racetrack with gear in the bed. I think I want one with a raised top to help direct air over the boat or trailer as well as more space for tools and spares at the racetrack. Leer makes a model, 122, that a local dealer has for about $1700 but I can't find much about them, or any other brands. for those that have them, what do I need to know or be aware of?

Dodge pic from website but mine is a 2007 white F350 crew cab dually.
I had ONE topper (and it was also a Leer). I needed more space than a pickup offered and the only other alternative was a full size van (expensive, also not what I wanted to drive). Ordered a Leer with no side windows. Quality and install were fine but I hated it, not tall enough to walk around in (on your knees trying to avoid the unfinished fiberglass underside of the topper). I ended up selling the truck and the topper within a year or so of doing it.

If I ever did another one I would only do the topper if I bought a bed slide also.......solves getting in/out of the bed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqC_PM_zE4M
Old 02-14-2015, 08:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

1700 dollars to look like a queer - I say go for it Russ!!!
Old 02-14-2015, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got an ARE on my truck. I went with the max height because it is a dually and I wanted all the space I could get. ACCESS is a major pain if you don't have side windows. Always have to climb up in the truck to get things because you can't reach through the side.
Mine has windows on all four sides that slide, open and tilt. With box boards I can step up at any location and reach things most anywhere in the bed without having to climb up in the truck. With the front window tilting in I can clean the glass and the truck cab glass too. I would not have it any other way but one like this is not cheap. I have $4,500 in mine but it is also finished inside with two flip down clothes racks. This price was the build with every option and color matched to my truck. If you don't carpet finish the inside of a cap it will echo all kinds of noise and the fiberglass will always be poking you.
Look on ARE's website and you can do some build ups to see how you like it. Look at the "TW" series caps for the max height.
http://www.4are.com/product/tw/

Last edited by aquaforce; 02-14-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a standard height ARE on my 1500 Sierra. I stole it off CL for $250, I just had to paint it. Three windows open and lock, it's great for reaching gear and not needing to climb inside. I do miss the tall cap I had on my last truck tho.

http://www.4are.com/product/mx/gallery.php?bx=t

Last edited by Jonesyfxr; 02-15-2015 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had fold a covers on last 2 trucks...worked good...but needed more height that was water proof, so found this ARE top of the line model on Craigslist, was black, but had nice flush windows, curved rear glass, that you just close to lock, full finished inside, so we wrapped the top with matching red wrap vinyl, black around the windows of the truck, added a elec tailgate lock, love the deal now, key is using a bedrug on the floor so you can kneel of and feels fine, can roll over to carry something crappy...

Old 02-15-2015, 08:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I used a Leer about 10 years ago on my old 95 F350 dually. It did what I needed it to do. I bought it used for $200 and it had windows on all sides with the extra height in the rear. Do check your garage door to make sure you can clear. The used market is the way to save big dollars on the caps. If I was to do it again, I would have went with the folding panel bed covers instead.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my second cap and I'll probably never own a truck without one again.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
I had fold a covers on last 2 trucks...worked good...but needed more height that was water proof, so found this ARE top of the line model on Craigslist, was black, but had nice flush windows, curved rear glass, that you just close to lock, full finished inside, so we wrapped the top with matching red wrap vinyl, black around the windows of the truck, added a elec tailgate lock, love the deal now, key is using a bedrug on the floor so you can kneel of and feels fine, can roll over to carry something crappy...

Great job on the cap, it looks very good.
Buying used is definitely the cheaper way to go if what a person wants is available. I ordered because I didn't have time to wait and watch and the contacts and dealers I knew did not have anything in their channels at that time.
ON the single wheel trucks the cab level cap looks great and that is the way I would go. On a dually the max height looks very proportional to the dual wheel fenders and I like that look for a tough looking truck with lots of room.
I was never a cap guy until getting rid of my Suburban. Once I realized all the inside space I was loosing the cap seemed to be the perfect option. Before that I had the Roll-N-Lock on two trucks. It was great and I liked it but I like MORE inside space now and the cap does that for me.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VoodooRob
I used a Leer about 10 years ago on my old 95 F350 dually. It did what I needed it to do. I bought it used for $200 and it had windows on all sides with the extra height in the rear. Do check your garage door to make sure you can clear. The used market is the way to save big dollars on the caps. If I was to do it again, I would have went with the folding panel bed covers instead.

Oh yea, the height of a max cap will not fit in all garage door openings. I have a 9 foot door so my truck fits in the garage at this house but it would not clear the door of my previous house.
My issue with the flat style bed covers is that the handle bars of a bike would not clear the cover. More space was needed for most of the things I had to haul so I left that style for the cap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.