Notices

Michelin LTX tire issues....

Old 03-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Michelin LTX tire issues....

Been using the LTX and now the LTX 2's for years, had 4-5 sets over the years, usually get 50-60K miles out of a set. Bought the last set 2 years ago, truck (F150, 20 inch factory rims) went 26K miles and the tires were shot. Chunks of rubber coming off (like you shaved small pieces off with a paring knife), dry rot in the grooves and honestly a worn down set of tires without any decent miles (tread was 2/32). Tires were manufactured the last week of 2012. I use a local tire store (non-franchise, been around for decades) and mention it to the manager, she thinks it is odd so she puts a call into Michelin, meanwhile I look online and find the LTX's used on new Ford Vans have all been recalled (1.3 million tires) so they know there maybe issues with the tires. The manager calls me back and tells me they will refund me 60% of the purchase price of the tires so I went ahead and bought another set of LTX's today to start over.......If you are a LTX buyer you might want to inspect the tires.

I was happy to get a new set for 40% of what they normally cost!
Old 03-02-2015, 06:08 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Yeh, it's too bad. They are no where near what they used to be. Edit in: the 2's no where near the original LTX's.

Back in the mid/late 90's I'd have Toyota Landcruisers go 80k+ on a set. I'm not talking one Landcruiser mind you. probably 50+ or more customers with Landcruisers go that far or more.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I better take a look at mine. Just put a new set on my super duty right before Christmas.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Mine are doing great and I love them but I only put a couple thousand miles a year on my truck.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always run them on the dually...the ltx ms2 and consistently get 75-80K out of a set before hitting the treadwear indicators. I just put 6 new ones on a month ago and already have 11K on them, seem to be just fine so far. Discount tire $1280/set installed.
Hope I got some good ones.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get about 25k on the rear tires.
60k on the front due to Dodge front ends. LTX M/S load E
Cummins 5.9 power to the ground,tires are suffering.