CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Vacum Pumps for crankcase

Anyone using using them? Pros and cons?
Old 03-03-2015, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I know some guys do. I think the biggest concern at one point was the vacuum causing pin oiling issues in an endurance engine. But I think as long as you dont get carried away with too much vacuum, it should be ok. I'm sure someone here has ran them and can elaborate more on them.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't speak from experience. But I'm running a dry sump on my new build and plan on pulling vacuum. If you want success a DLC coated pin with a little added clearance on the pin bore is mandatory. If done properly I can't possibly see any cons only pros.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CNC
Anyone using using them? Pros and cons?
We have a great system, but if any +HP it won't show on your GPS. This system will help keep your bilge clean/spotless?....assuming the oil from your valve cover breathers is your only source of unwanted oil. To do it right, expect to spend $2000+ with a single pump system for both engines. You will need -12 braided lines, pop-off valve, vacuum control valve, vacuum gauge at the dash, a catch can system w/drain and a vent system out of the bilge. If you are still interested, PM me.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:31 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I had Jerry at Stainless Marine fab some stainless drag race style pan vacs back in 1992. He welded in some bungs at the collectors and I ran hoses to the valve covers . I never put a vacuum gauge on them , but you could feel vacuum on the hoses and bilge was much cleaner after a race. They were basically 5/8 stainless pipe cut at approx 45 degree angle .
Old 03-04-2015, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by PARASAIL941
I had Jerry at Stainless Marine fab some stainless drag race style pan vacs back in 1992. He welded in some bungs at the collectors and I ran hoses to the valve covers . I never put a vacuum gauge on them , but you could feel vacuum on the hoses and bilge was much cleaner after a race. They were basically 5/8 stainless pipe cut at approx 45 degree angle .
We tried a similar rig prior to the vacuum pump system. To much heat created in the rigging, melted hoses, etc. for a marine installation. The low cost solution is to just power wash the bilge regularly.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:10 AM
Registered

most all of the setups are for drag race(short tern use) and I don't think would hold up well on long runs...I think a good catch tank with good plumbing a better choice here..Rob
Old 03-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537941[/ATTACH] Here is where we ended after about 5 try's.
Attached Thumbnails Vacum Pumps for crankcase-imgp1200.jpg  
Old 03-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can weld a tube in the header or tailpipe and cut the tube on an angle in the exhaust. Set in down about an inch. Hook the hose up to that, and it pulls great vacum for free. And pulls smoke and oil out the back. Or old school hose to the air intake, the problem is after you beat on boat then come back to idle it may not pull the smoke in.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
most all of the setups are for drag race(short tern use) and I don't think would hold up well on long runs...I think a good catch tank with good plumbing a better choice here..Rob
Peterson makes a nice one... Thats the route I went this year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.