Benihana Grand Prix course >

Benihana Grand Prix course

Notices

Benihana Grand Prix course

Old 03-26-2015, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benihana Grand Prix course

Does anyone have a race program booklet with the 200 mile course? I would like to scan a map of the course. I have or thought I have program booklets but cannot find them. Nothing online that I could find.

Anyone please?
Old 03-26-2015, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't have a map but the original course ran from the Manasquan inlet south to the Seaside Heights FunTown pier where it turned north to Fire Island. From Fire Island it headed back to Manasquan/Pt Pleasant. There may have been a lap from Pt Pleasant to Seaside and back before the turn. I'm sure others will be able to confirm.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:02 AM
Registered

I'd like to get a map or scanned image of the course so I can add it as a decal to the dash of the model of the KAAMA I am building.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have one at home-I can photocopy it and fax/email it to you Friday. I believe they only did the run to Fire Island one year, Rocky wanted the boats closer to the shore for better viewing.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:54 AM
Registered

Thank you! Will pm you my email.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A real Offshore Powerboat Race....loved that!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:30 PM
Registered

Nostalgia!!

http://www.oparacing.org/history.html

There is probably no single race more famous than The Benihana Offshore Grand Prix. This race was known as the Indy 500 of Offshore Racing and was held in Point Pleasant Beach, NJ, during the 1970's. The New Jersey Offshore Powerboat Racing Association has been the host club since racing started in Point Pleasant Beach some 40+ years ago. NJ Offshore (NJOPRA) is still a very active club with over 100 members and has kept the tradition of Offshore Racing alive on the Jersey Shore for all those years.

Over the years, the name of the Point Pleasant Beach race has been changed each time a new sponsor was obtained. It's been called: The Hennessey Offshore Grand Prix, The Benihana Offshore Grand Prix, The Ray Catena Offshore Grand Prix, The New Jersey Offshore Grand Prix, The War at the Shore, the Jenkinson's Offshore Grand Prix and the year of 2005 it was called The Jersey Boyz Offshore Grand Prix.

During the years, the race course has gotten smaller and shorter. In the Benihana days, the race was over 200 miles long running laps from NY's Fire Island to Seaside Heights NJ. One lap was about 80 miles. For the spectators, and there were many, the boats came by once an hour and only three or four times depending upon the race course configurations. Today the racecourse is a small 4 mile oval as close to the beach as possible. Since the beach drops off quickly, the boats usually run within 150 feet of the surf. Even the outside leg can be clearly seen from the shoreline.

The NJ race has also seen its share of sanction flags. Originally, the race was the premier APBA National Offshore Race. This race ran on the third Wednesday of the month of July like clockwork. People would book their vacations around race week, as it was always a source of excitement. Back in 1975 a fast boat in NJ was a 21' Searay with a 188 Merc I/O. So when the big boats came to town, it was quite a show.

Ed "Smitty" Smith has taken over the reigns at OPA and together with Augie "The Godfather" Pensa, President of the Jersey Boyz Offshore Racing Crews, NJOPRA and the Twisted Sisters, they will bring back the days of the old Benihana. Welcoming racers from all over the country to come and experience what it's like to race the waters of the Atlantic Ocean off the New Jersey Shore.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
A real Offshore Powerboat Race....loved that!
The good ol' days
Old 03-27-2015, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Ken-I photo copied the 1977 and 1978 course charts. My scanner is not working, do you have a fax #?? I'll also send a private message. By the way, 177.8 miles.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts
I have one at home-I can photocopy it and fax/email it to you Friday. I believe they only did the run to Fire Island one year, Rocky wanted the boats closer to the shore for better viewing.
I was thinking of the original Hennessey Grand Prix. Quite a race course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.