Notices

Roger Hanks Racing

Old 03-31-2015, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roger Hanks Racing

Hello to everyone! I am new here and I am wondering if any of you "OLD SALTS" remember a crazy Texas oil man named Roger C. Hanks and his "BLONDE" & "BLONDE II" Cigarette boats.
Roger raced in the late 60's and early 70"s.
He had a picture in his office of one of his boats sticking through both side of a yacht! I would love to find a copy of that picture!
Best Regards
Old 03-31-2015, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can find that pic (and many more) on Graham Stevens' website:

http://powerboatarchive2.co.uk/pictu...46/category/68
Old 04-02-2015, 09:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by olli
You can find that pic (and many more) on Graham Stevens' website:

http://powerboatarchive2.co.uk/pictu...46/category/68
This would be one of the most famous pic's of Hanks.
Attached Thumbnails Roger Hanks Racing-cig-blonde-140.jpg  
Old 09-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all- I just stumbled on this thread after googling my grandfather, who happens to be Mr. Roger Hanks. I've been looking for this picture to make a print of it! I am his oldest granddaughter, Blonde and Blonde II were named after my mother Graham Hanks.

If anyone has more information about him I would be forever grateful.

All my best,
Esa
Old 09-03-2015, 01:01 PM
Registered

Esa greetings

Take a look at www.historicraceboats.com That is HORBA That stands for Historic Offshore Race Boat Association.

Here is some information from the 1972 Key West race that Roger won.

As you can see the boat was a 36 foot long boat...... and here are photos showing it climbing up and finally cresting a wave, a big wave.

One of the crewmen with him that day was Bob Saccenti who is on HORBA's board. He went on to become a famous racer in his own right and founded the famous APACHE boat line.

The photo of the race boat sticking in the Hatteras, was used by your grandfather to send out Christmas cards one year..... with the title underneath in big black letters.......NOBODY'S PERFECT!
Attached Thumbnails Roger Hanks Racing-blondearticle.jpg   Roger Hanks Racing-theblondeii-1.jpg   Roger Hanks Racing-theblondeii-2.jpg  

Last edited by HORBA; 09-03-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:15 PM
Registered

This is incredible!!! I am so grateful for your quick and thoughtful reply, thank you. I'm so excited to learn more.

Best,
Esa
Old 09-03-2015, 06:35 PM
Registered

Esa

At the bottom of the pages on the HORBA website is an advertisement for Innovation Marine of Sarasota, Fla. Very recently they had one of your grandfather's boatsin their facility. The boat had been converted to apleasure boat and was sold to anew owner when it was at Innovation.

If you contact them, ask for Rick, they may know of how to contact the new owner and you might be able to go and see the boat or even take a ride in it.

Funny story that was in Sports Illustrated about a race your grandfather was in. He broke down during the race and the reason he gave for the breakdown was this.........Roger said that he lent $10,000 to another racer a while back and the other racer repaid him in cash right before this race. So Roger tucked the money into his wallet and stuffed the wallet in his jacket and threw it under the deck. Sometime during the race, the wallet came out of the jacket and the money flew all around the engine room. But Roger said, he was convinced that the final blow was from his American Express card that came out of his wallet and sliced the belts on one engine. He was very colorful.

Last edited by HORBA; 09-03-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Blonde
This is incredible!!! I am so grateful for your quick and thoughtful reply, thank you. I'm so excited to learn more.

Best,
Esa
I raced against Roger in his first race (California), and his last race (Key West), and nearly every domestic race between---he was a great innovator, competitor and good friend---

Old 09-04-2015, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats a awesome story, keep up the great work. Once this gets in your blood you will never get rid of it. I am 3rd gen Powerboater and thank my Dad and Grandfather every chance I get.
Esa enjoy the old stories and remeber them, sometimes they get a little more colorful with time. LOL.
Greg
Old 09-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Registered

Gentlemen- Greg, Redman, HORBA, I am just beside myself with curiosity! I am indebted to you for your stories. I wish we were all in the same room and could discuss for hours. I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise that in my mother's wedding photos to my dad in 1974, my Grandad (this is what we called him) was in a huge neck brace from a motorcycle crash. I don't think she forgave him! Maybe having two boats named after you helps

I am compiling all into a story I'm working on-- increasingly it appears to be turning into a chapter. Not withstanding working on a full-sized print of "Nobody's Perfect" for my living room!

I will keep on this thread and enjoy the edge of my seat as your memories unfold. New to this world, I already feel the energy and how much you all have thrived around it, all this time. What a world-

All my best,
Esa

Last edited by Blonde; 09-04-2015 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typo ;)
The following users liked this post:
I'CE (03-17-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.