Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Twin 525s, different fuel consumption, is this normal? >

Twin 525s, different fuel consumption, is this normal?

Notices

Twin 525s, different fuel consumption, is this normal?

Old 04-06-2015, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Twin 525s, different fuel consumption, is this normal?

I bought a 2005 Fountain 35 with 525s last year (160 hrs on engines) and noticed starboard engine consistently burns 7% (stb tank takes more fuel at fill ups) more than port side. Boat ran great and both engines reach max rpm. Port engine drives hydraulic steering. Is this normal or should I be looking for a problem?
Old 04-06-2015, 10:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had similar experience with my 38 with reverse stagger 525's. I don't think there was a problem but did notice slightly higher fuel consumption.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend had a Gladiator did the same thing. He had it for about 5 years. It was the same from the day he bought it to the day he sold it. No problems, one just sucked more fuel. I think his was closer to 15% difference.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my cig is the same way ,,port motor always uses more ..always putting more fuel in port tank at fill up ..been that way since new 2003 38 gun
motors run perfect though ..checked everything several times scanned motors ect
Old 04-07-2015, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

And presume you 525 guys have many hours of dependable performance from your 525efi without major top end work or other? I know there are many threads on this, so just taking advantage here of a captive audience. I am a new 525 owner, I think 107 hours on mine. Just serviced out, all fluids, mech fuel pump, etc. Looking forward to my first summer with her. Got her in Aug 2015, storage about a month later...Started her twice during off season so far (that's winterization in Texas). Ha!
Old 04-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 10meter port motor uses about 8% more than my starboard.and there carbed motors and not injected.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by imartin
And presume you 525 guys have many hours of dependable performance from your 525efi without major top end work or other? I know there are many threads on this, so just taking advantage here of a captive audience. I am a new 525 owner, I think 107 hours on mine. Just serviced out, all fluids, mech fuel pump, etc. Looking forward to my first summer with her. Got her in Aug 2015, storage about a month later...Started her twice during off season so far (that's winterization in Texas). Ha!
Change the impellers and housings often, I do mine twice a year. The key with header longevity on these engines is keeping them as cool as possible at all times. Wouldn't be a bad idea to pressure check your headers and make sure the header bypass mod has been done.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, new impellers were installed as well, fuel filter, new serp belt, everthing. Yes, the bypass mod was done too as part of the Merc recall. Can hold the headers as the boat idles and after a run. Thanks!

And to contribute to the thread, not just hijack it (LOL), Baja has a single tank so cant ascertain uneven fuel pull. I do have vessel view that can show fuel psi, etc per engine and wil look next time.

Last edited by imartin; 04-07-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to hear 7% difference is not unusual. I bought the boat mid season and went through it changing all fluids, filters (including inline fuel filter) & mechanical pumps. Headers & impellers inspected, ecu scanned and all good. Ran great, even smoother at idle than my old 454 Mag MPI. It wasn't until the second fill up I noticed the starboard tank always needing more fuel. At the end of the season out of the 4 last fill ups I noticed the starboard tank took a total of 885 liters and the port took 828 liters (approx. 7% difference). I'm pulling it out of storage in a few weeks and want it 100% for this season. I now have 190 hrs. In addition to motor & drive oil, engine & water separator changed in fall, I'm changing the impellers, pulling the drives to check alignment & lube shifter cable / coupler drive spline etc. Please let me know if any other maintenance is recommended. Also, what is the "header bypass mod", and does the 2005 model year need it. I want my headers to last (after checking prices last year). Thx