Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Alega Growth Prevention - Anyone try/Heard of this idea?? >

Alega Growth Prevention - Anyone try/Heard of this idea??

Notices

Old 04-07-2015, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be a far-fetched idea but I do not want to paint my boat bottom and a lift for my boat (formula 400ss) is out of the question for this year so I had an idea, try not to laugh to hard it’s just a thought.

Has anyone heard of someone putting a water pump (or like sump pump) in at there dock and attaching pvc pipe to the pump and then travel it the length of the boat with “T’s” every so often to let the water out, keeping water flowing aorund the whole boat? The theory behide this would be if I kept the water moving around the hull of my boat would this help delay the growth algea? Obviouly im not looking to prevet growth with this idea more or less reduce, but was wondering is anyone ever heard of this being done?
Old 04-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I have not heard of that, but an option would be to put some de-icers, like this http://www.westmarine.com/buy/kasco-...05_157_005_002 on your dock like they use to keep the water moving around docks in the winter. You can get them from west marine and just drop them in the water under your boat to keep the water flowing. Another option that I have seen on here, but never heard of anyone using was this thing that attaches to your dock. It was essentially a PVC box with a tarp that hangs down in the water. After you drive in through the gate that lowers, you turn a pump on and it removes the water from the tarp. So you boat is essentially dry but still floating. Like I said, I have never used it, or know of anyone who has it, but it has been mentioned on here. There are a couple youtube videos of it, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the product.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

400SS - Interesting idea. I believe another drawback to keeping the boat in the water for an extended time is the potential for blisters in the gelcoat.

Last edited by 4mulafastech; 04-07-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:57 AM
Registered

Perlmudder

Flexidock
Old 04-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I am not sure that is the exact same one or not, but that is the idea I was talking about.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Registered

Anyone know of other manufactures that produce a product similar to "flexidock"?