Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
DEF Tank bad - 2013 GMC 3500 HD DMAX >

DEF Tank bad - 2013 GMC 3500 HD DMAX

Notices

DEF Tank bad - 2013 GMC 3500 HD DMAX

Old 05-08-2015, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 192 Posts
Default DEF Tank bad - 2013 GMC 3500 HD DMAX

Just took the truck in for the check engine light. Heater element in DEF tank bad, so they are replacing the whole tank. Truck has 73K, bone stock. I asked if they ever saw this before, he said "not until another guy came in a week before you and it was the same thing". Anyone else been having issues with the Exhaust system (all inclusive) on the Duramax?

Getting nervous when the warranty runs out @ 100K.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 63 Posts

Ran my 11 to over 110k and no issues. Hope it's just a fluke deal for you
Old 05-08-2015, 08:21 AM
Registered

So far, I've heard of two others with DEF problems. Anyone else?

I am curious if there is a cause for this? Low fluid levels, is there a preferred fluid, just a part failure (fluke)?
Old 05-09-2015, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar thing happened to my 2011 in feb of 2013. Took the dealer a while to figure out but they ended up replacing everything. It was over 100k so no warranty ... A little pricey
Old 05-10-2015, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine had a bad NOx sensor over 100k. The SCR related codes were quite complex and did not really point to the sensor. I researched online and took a chance, so I replaced it and all is well. I got it from rockauto it was 1/2 the price of the dealer (same part). I later got a letter from GM indicating that they had a bad batch of sensors and it was covered if the dealer changed it. I was out of luck on that since I did it myself. I think that the dealers don't take the time to troubleshoot the SCR system and just want to replace it all, which is a big profit item. Its not their money. Other than that small problem, my truck has been great.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the warranty is out, 4" strsight pipe the exhaust with maybe a muffler to quiet it down some for the wife while towing,get a tune and keep on keepin on.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Just took the truck in for the check engine light. Heater element in DEF tank bad, so they are replacing the whole tank. Truck has 73K, bone stock. I asked if they ever saw this before, he said "not until another guy came in a week before you and it was the same thing". Anyone else been having issues with the Exhaust system (all inclusive) on the Duramax?

Getting nervous when the warranty runs out @ 100K.
Join up over at duramaxforum I'm over there also you'll find a lot of good info, the DEF tanks issue is not common and no real specific reason for it just a random failure, the CP4 fuel pump is the real weak link on the newer DMax. I put a lift pump on mine and run a diesel fuel additive to raise the SCAR number on the fuel trying to make the Bosch fuel pump live as long as I can. Once I get over 100k I will either delete the emission crap completely and put a set of tunes in it or trade it for a new one.

Mine with a Zone 5 inch lift with, Cognito & RCD HD front end parts and air bags in back for towing I'm at about 8K miles on this DMax sold the other one at about 80K because they wanted to sell this one bad.
Attached Thumbnails DEF Tank bad - 2013 GMC 3500 HD DMAX-small-dmax-pic.jpg  
Old 05-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

After 5 yrs for me bye bye emissions. Lol. My truck is 11 months old with 6700 miles. I won't hit the 100 anytime soon
Old 05-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Registered

Read the DEF problems thread, it will make you nervous!!! Lots of emissions issues.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Read the DEF problems thread, it will make you nervous!!! Lots of emissions issues.
lol Sorry maybe I shouldn't have sent you to look at the site I kid I kid. I take all those threads with a grain of salt 31 pages about 1200 posts spanning about 2 years so of those 1200 posts I'm guessing maybe 1/3 of them were people with actual problems doesn't seem like a big number in comparison to how many trucks produced.

I do agree the EPA has screwed up all newer trucks and the emission stuff is bull chit. Drive that thing like ya stole it and don't worry but when its getting closer to end of warranty the new Denali HD's are pretty sweet! and you can't take that money with you when you die!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.