Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Closed Bow or Mid Cuddy open bow? >

Closed Bow or Mid Cuddy open bow?

Notices

Closed Bow or Mid Cuddy open bow?

Old 05-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Closed Bow or Mid Cuddy open bow?

I need opinions and thoughts. I have a 1984 Checkmate convicor 25' that I have been in the process of restoring. I am debating on making a mid cuddy out of it and butting part of the bow open. I will mostly use the boat at lake havasu and Lake mead in Nevada. Would it hurt the value of the boat to cut it open. I have been on the fence about it for the last two months. It goes to the fiberglass shop this Thursday for new floors and to glass the floors to look like the new boats. so I have to decide by then. here is a few photos of what it looks like. I am building a gen VI 496 stroker with eagle crank and rods SRP pistons internally balanced, 10:1 compression.
Thank you all in advance for your thoughts.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

I think if it were me, I would just install some extra large screw out deck plates (large enough for a human head) on the bow deck. Use one for each passenger and put some jump seats below each deck plate. Much cheaper and you won't compromise the structural integrity of the boat.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by DeanMiller412
I have a 1984 Checkmate convicor 25' Would it hurt the value of the boat to cut it open.
I say go for it. Don't take this the wrong way buy that hull is not really worth that much anyway.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:25 PM
Registered

Dave M no offense taken, I know its not worth much in the scheme of things. I want a boat that appeals to buyers if I ever do end up selling it we always want bigger and better. I'm going to try and hold onto it for a few years. plus I am re gel Coating the exterior of it this winter.I Will never get the money I have into it back out but I enjoy the restoration process and the enjoyment of something I have put together myself. I don't really Care for Closed bow but I like the seating under the front and I Dont really like open bow for the fact of if im caught in a storm or if i want to do a run in larger open waters. but then again i would not feel comfortable taking that small of a boat into the ocean.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A friend of mine went out west to buy a Nordic 28 Heat MCOB, and he loves it. The only knock I would have against it is that there is no sliding door to close off the cabin from the elements - that would be nice to have. When you are running at speed it develops a wind tunnel effect that will suck anything that is left sitting loose in the cabin right out the back of the boat. Towels, huggies, ball caps - all are fair game for a dip in the drink. Some of the manufacturers give you a door between cabin and cockpit, and some also add a door between cabin and bow rider. Advantage has a nice setup that has both doors.

I always thought it would be cool to design a "convertible" - with a hard cover that you could install over the bow rider area to convert it into a closed bow. With a couple of fill cushions, you would have the best of both worlds - a bow rider when you are just going out for the day, or a cuddy if you want to overnight. You could just leave the hatch in that removable section. Toughest part to engineer would be some type of gasket and rain channel to keep the rain out, and a way to securely fasten it. Set something like that up and you would have a truly unique and functional ride. Good luck with your project!
Old 05-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
I always thought it would be cool to design a "convertible" - with a hard cover that you could install over the bow rider area to convert it into a closed bow.
That's been done. Stingray boats was doing that back in the 90's. I remember seeing it in brochures, but never saw one in person.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:24 PM
Registered

Budman, Yes there is a-lot of mid MCOB, in the west especially in lake havasu. advantage boats makes some as well as cheetah boats (who I am having do my boats interior) I really like it with the ability to have that extra seating especially when you have a-lot of family and freinds, im just not sure if its the right move to do on this boat I like to make things original when restoring but at the same time I want to make it my own. and also have it appeal to other buyers.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey Dean, I was just funnin around in my earlier post. Your mid cabin idea struck me as a little over the top at first, but I see you already have all the interior out, so maybe the expense wouldn't be that much more after cutting the deck. You are here asking for opinions so my opinion would be leave as is. Like a lot of us, you are going to have a bundle of time and money into the project. I think the end result could be risky if the mid cabin doesn't end up quite like you conceptualized. On a 25 footer, just how useful or spacious is either the mid cabin or open bow going to be? Since you boat where its really hot, I'd take some of the money I saved from leaving the deck intact and use it for a/c for the cuddy. Boats can have a funny way of making us obsessive and not practical. I get it though. Welcome to oso BTW and good luck with the project.