Notices

What axles do I have?

Old 06-03-2015, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts
Default What axles do I have?

Finally getting around to converting the drum brakes on the trailer to disc. Looking online for a decent kit and I'm having trouble finding something that is for my axles.

The trailer is an alum 1989 Myco tandem axle (cross braces are galvanized steel) and the hubs are the 6-bolt variety. The data plate on the trailer says 4200lbs for each axle and they are torsional axles. I originally thought the axles were made by Dexter but on their website they don't show any 4200lb axle parts. Also need to know if the spindles are #42's or not.

Do the Dexter axles have a rating/manuf stamp on them somewhere?
Do the spindles have any identification marks or do I have to remove the bearings and measure them??
Old 06-06-2015, 08:04 AM
Registered

I spoke to a Dexter rep yesterday. He says they make custom rated torsional axles, so the load rating could be just abt anything. I was told to find the 8-XXXX number on the hubs and call him back. With that number he can advise the spindle size/type and verify the load rating.
Damn, wish I could have started this project sooner. Gotta get the boat on the water for a shakedown run before the 4th!
Old 06-06-2015, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zz28zz
I spoke to a Dexter rep yesterday. He says they make custom rated torsional axles, so the load rating could be just abt anything. I was told to find the 8-XXXX number on the hubs and call him back. With that number he can advise the spindle size/type and verify the load rating.
Damn, wish I could have started this project sooner. Gotta get the boat on the water for a shakedown run before the 4th!
pull the bearings and get the numbers off them..thay should give you the rite rotors.if it were me i would say screw it and go boating..you pretty much have to replace everything from the acuator to the calipers when converting to disc..yes including shortening the steel lines and adding rubber hoses to the floating calipers..

i would rather have electric drum brakes to begin with..simple to fixx and cheaper to boot...for what it costs to convert to electric drum you could do it for what it costs for one disc brake set up on one axle meaning only one tire..
Old 06-07-2015, 12:10 AM
Registered

I was planning on replacing the actuator and the hard lines anyway since I don't know when they last worked.

The elec drums are tempting but I really want the disc. There's a long steep hill with a couple of red lights at the bottom on the lake road and I'm afraid the drums would fade if I had to really stomp on the brakes.
I'll probably convert to elec/hyd at some point, but not now.

I'm also searching for a new tow vehicle so I don't wanna set-up my current truck with brake controllers/etc right now.

Texas just adopted the system where your trailer insp status is entered in the state's computer, so if it won't pass insp, no registration renewal. My tags are currently expired.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
i would rather have electric drum brakes to begin with..simple to fixx and cheaper to boot...for what it costs to convert to electric drum you could do it for what it costs for one disc brake set up on one axle meaning only one tire..
+1 Helped a friend do a conversion on a triple axle to disc.......

If ever asked to do that again I'm going to find a reason to be busy doing something else. Sounds like you have your mind set on the conversion but electric drums would not fade in such a short distance downhill. The install of the controller will be nothing in comparison to the work and cost you have in front of you to change to disc.

Best of luck on your project no matter what you decide.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drum brakes provide better stopping power.
Just changed bearings, races and complete hyd.backing plates with brakes.Dico makes a nice galvanized piece.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:07 PM
Registered

It's true drum brakes do provide more stopping power for a given hyd press due to their self-energizing nature.
However, that can be compensated for by using the correct actuator (master cyl).

My main concern is that my trailer came with brakes on the front axle only and the trailer/boat is a little over 8k lbs.
I've experienced brake fade with one of my cars that was less than half the weight and had 4 "heavy duty" drums
(67 GTO). Wound up going thru a red light at 60 MPH at a busy intersection. That experience made a believer out of me.

The downhill grade I'm concerned abt is pretty significant and it's abt 3 miles long.
I use 2nd gear in my truck to descend the hill to save my truck brakes but the trailer brakes (surge) will be activated all the way down.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:14 PM
Registered

Got confirmation today that if the inner bearing is # 25580 and the outer-bearing inner-race is 1.25", it's a 5200lb axle/spindle.

Ordered a set of the integrated Kodiak Dacromet disc brake kits with S/S calipers, a Titan master cyl, a back-up solenoid and four 19" rubber brake lines.

When I pulled the drum and backing plate from one side, I found the primary shoe was down to the metal and there was evidence that the grease seal leaked at some point.
Also found the left rear bearing was on it's last leg. Glad I caught it now!!
Old 06-09-2015, 05:27 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

You probably are taking the best approach since two axles had nothing on them anyway, your boat and trailer for sure are over 5000lb and it sounds like your trailering/splashing your boat alot. Looks like your timing was perfect on the upgrade!
Old 06-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

While you are doing the conversion you should looking at changing the hubs to oil bath hubs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.