Need Someone Smarter Than Me >

Need Someone Smarter Than Me

Notices

Need Someone Smarter Than Me

Old 06-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Someone Smarter Than Me

Long story short...... I recently had my twin 540's rebuilt, basically valve job, new cam, lifters, bearings ect.....basic rebuild. Everything is exactly the same as it was before (same exact cam, lifters, just new from the same manufacturer's....same emi exhaust) (have ran these 540's for 8 years) . Get them all back together, run them on the stand and the one is getting reversion pretty bad. The other engine is fine. The cams were degreed when installed.

I am running EMI thunder exhaust, if I dump the water from the top of the manifold out (basically skipping the tails) it runs great. If I hook up water on one side and run the other dry all good. If I put water through the other side (left side looking at the engine) and run the other dry it gets reversion so bad it won't idle. I switched the manifold from the other engine and it didn't help still same results.

I really don't know where to go from here. Any Ideas would be appreciated. I didn't get into all the specs because I have run this exact setup for years.

Thanks in advance
C
Old 06-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it possible the one tail is leaking? Try switching tails between the motors and see if the problem follows, or even left tail for right on the same block.

Ryan
Old 06-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure spark plug wires are correct and Do compression test take a few mins and learn a lot. Same spark advance?
Old 06-05-2015, 08:35 PM
Registered

I swapped manifolds and risers didn't help. I will try a compression test and check the wires.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:02 PM
Registered

Did a Compression test, all the cylinders were within a few lbs of each other. Could the ignition timing cause reversion? I could swap the whole distributor from the other engine if it's a possibility?
Old 06-05-2015, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's a hydraulic cam you may have a lifter a little to tight (back the adjuster off for maximum compression with the compression tester. If it's a solid cam tightening lash 4-5 thousandths is like advancing the cam 2 degrees. You if it's solid try giving it a few more .001's lash. You can also try backing the cam up a few degrees. What were the cams put in at? Did the same guy degree them with the same wheel originally?

Last edited by Black Baja; 06-05-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:43 PM
Registered

It's hydraulic roller. Cams were put in straight up. We degreed them just to make sure they were right. They were installed straight up originally too.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmoney
Did a Compression test, all the cylinders were within a few lbs of each other. Could the ignition timing cause reversion? I could swap the whole distributor from the other engine if it's a possibility?
yes timing could have something to do with it did you put a light on it. What kind of distributors u have?
Old 06-06-2015, 01:33 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Any exhaust leak will promote reversion.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:26 AM
Registered

MSD distributors. Timed it with a digital light .

It's not an exhaust leak that is what I thought it was at first but everything is good there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.