Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Any Toyota /  Lexus techs Up Here >

Any Toyota / Lexus techs Up Here

Notices

Any Toyota / Lexus techs Up Here

Old 06-15-2015, 09:17 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Any Toyota / Lexus techs Up Here

Anyone trained on the LS / GS 400 V8 engines.

Believe it or not I will be ATTEMPTING to work on this engine that was used by Toyota who at that time Owned EPIC Ski boats from 1997 to 2002. This is the engine they used for their marine apps during that timeframe. No one in the area will work on this nor even touch it.

I said no at first during the phone call but thought about hours later. I called the person back 6 hours later and said I would even donate an hour of my time to see if I can even figure out their running problems. Not doing this for the money but to say it is a app that 99.999 % marine techs never ever even seen. I like the puzzles sometimes as stupid as that might sound. I sure HOPE it has OBD II so I can run the diagnostics.

If I recall it should have OBD II for the marine app that Toyota did. I also know it used MAF sensor to. Plus is DOHC and I think it uses a bank1 VVT sensor and a bank 2 as well. I have no training on this engine period nor ever seen one in person but want to see if I can walk my way thru it.

More info to come but I am sure I will have questions about this app.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:37 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

It's probably the fuel pump contoller.

Ha.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 22 of the best Toyota techs in Chicago.

Let me know if I can help.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:20 PM
BUP
Banned

Thank you for the offer and the reply. I might need some help on this one. Next week its Volvo DPX 600 and twins at that. I'm really not am asking for lunch eaters but sometimes like the challenges. Thanks again.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

BUP. I work at the big T. Let me know what you need and I will try to help out.

Originally Posted by BUP
Thank you for the offer and the reply. I might need some help on this one. Next week its Volvo DPX 600 and twins at that. I'm really not am asking for lunch eaters but sometimes like the challenges. Thanks again.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a former Toyota tech. That 4.0 is an excellent motor, not much goes wrong with them around here. Let me know if you need to know anything.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:06 PM
BUP
Banned

Thanks for all the help. What I want to do before hand is really be able to scan this engine. I think the marine version uses OBD II if so did Toyota Auto side do something different than the standardized OBD II tune and parameters ? Also will need to see if certain things with the alibraion are turned off or which parameters I need to ignore for example any Catalyst & O2 readings / faults and so on. Like I said I am 99.99% this app uses MAF.

I do know Toyota did not use MEFI for their ECM. Also I will need to figure out how the tach signal functions for this app (input signals & output signals).
Old 06-16-2015, 03:12 PM
Registered

What exactly is the complaint with the boat first off? I know the marine engine was a higher compression engine and did away with most of the emissions items. In my experience the most common driveability issues with these motors are a dirty MAF sensor (assuming this uses a MAF and not a MAP and IAT setup) and faulty coils. Other than that Toyota's electronics are pretty tough.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:50 PM
BUP
Banned

Matt thanks the only thing I know they bought the boat from Utah and brought back in my area. It has not run right from day one - they said - changed plugs & wires - drained the gas tank put fresh fuel in it, changed oil & filter - they said they have low oil pressure and is reading all over the place at times to.

They said the engine idles at 4500 rpms and runs at 8500 rpms but runs poorly. I just listen as many years ago this has worked better than trying to figure out whats really going on over the phone.

I just listen because this type of boat owner(s) really does not know how to explain their running problems and 90 % of these type of boat owners most of the time do not even know they are experiencing engine running problems until the motor shuts down or will not start.

I always like when the person says it was running great but now it just bogs down and stalls sometimes so all it needs is just a tune up. I have never found that to be the case. JUST a tune up. Never. It is always a long list of items. Especially when it comes to boats and this type of owner.

Last edited by BUP; 06-16-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:56 PM
Registered

Hmm. You are certainly going in blind here. I am almost certain it doesn't have plug wires, should be COP. The oil pressure sending units are common to read low on the V8 Toyota's, we used to change them all the time on the 4.7 Tundra.

There is another issue I have seen come to think of it. The harness for the crank sensor and the oil pressure sending unit runs down the front port side of the motor. If somebody did a timing belt service and did not put this harness back in the proper place it will rub on the dampner. I had a land cruiser that would intermittently buck, skip, and shut down with erratic oil pressure readings and that is what the problem was. Not sure if this motor is setup the same or not but I would imagine it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.