Steering Issues....

Notices

Steering Issues....

Old 07-24-2015, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,231 Likes on 686 Posts
Default Steering Issues....

Cigarette Bullet with twin Bravos. Went out one day and lost all ability to steer toward starboard. In addition the steering was hard (as in no power-assist). Difficult to dock, hold a good like running, etc. We thought the helm was bad so we replaced everything (new cable etc). Now the steering is okay at idle and low speeds, but she will not turn to starboard (cable and ram will not extend... feels like enough resistance to break something if forced).

Since the cable and helm were replaced, my thought is the rack. Anyone else run into this? Thanks!

Last edited by TomZ; 07-25-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:26 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So the set up is a push pull cable from the helm to the engine compartment. The steering cable enters the booster/control valve attached to the transom assembly. If this is correct did the cable end slide freely in the tube? Also there is a grease (zerk) fitting on the booster/control valve, did you grease that? Too much grease can cause that issue as well.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Okay.

Fitting was not greased. Maybe it needs to be greased? The sleeve was good.

The strange thing is that at idle and (and moving at idle) it will operate left and right with two fingers on the wheel. But once on plane, she'll turn left easily, but turning right is impossible without coming off plane. Strangest thing.

Going to try looking at it today.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

Stock steering correct? my cafe blew (not sure what it's called) the seal on the ram on the transom. Docking was ok. It would turn in neutral but not at power. Would only turn right not left while running. But it wouldn't hold any fluid in the lines. Poured right out into the bulge. Check if there is hydraulic fluid sprayed on your transom and any grey milky substance on the ram on the transom
Old 08-03-2015, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Little update...

Took her out this weekend. Steering is good at idle and just above idle (no wake speeds). You can feel her getting tight as things go up in RPM. At about 1300-1400 RPM, steering to starboard is difficult, but she'll turn to port with extreme ease. Around the dock, I could use two fingers to turn to port or starboard.

Thinking the rack is done.

Does anyone know if the racks are rather generic? Looks to be a lot available on eBay and Amazon. Trouble is knowing which one to grab. Thoughts?
Old 08-03-2015, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
Little update...

Took her out this weekend. Steering is good at idle and just above idle (no wake speeds). You can feel her getting tight as things go up in RPM. At about 1300-1400 RPM, steering to starboard is difficult, but she'll turn to port with extreme ease. Around the dock, I could use two fingers to turn to port or starboard.

Thinking the rack is done.

Does anyone know if the racks are rather generic? Looks to be a lot available on eBay and Amazon. Trouble is knowing which one to grab. Thoughts?
I have one if you want it. It's the newer style.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Black Baja
I have one if you want it. It's the newer style.
Are they interchangeable?
Old 08-04-2015, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
Are they interchangeable?
Yes, but I think the hose connections are different.