496 Oil Cooler Upgrade Question >

496 Oil Cooler Upgrade Question

Notices

496 Oil Cooler Upgrade Question

Old 07-26-2015, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 414 Likes on 244 Posts
Default 496 Oil Cooler Upgrade Question

After having my boat coming up on 3 years, I had my first problem (knock on wood) yesterday. When I got home and went to flush the engine I noticed everything on the rear of the transome had a coating of oil on it, hummmm. I checked the engine oil and it was about 1 quart low. After cleaning everything and doing some thinking my first thought was the oil cooler because the engine has never skipped a beat. Today I removed the oil cooler and pressured the oil fittings while having the cooler submerged in a bucket of water and sure enough it is leaking internally. I have to buy a new cooler and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a larger replacement available that will bolt into the stock lines and location? Might as well buy it now as if I ever have to do any major engine repairs I would do a Raylar kit. I did some searching and did not find anything that looked even close.

Thanks for any help!!!

Engine is a 2002
Stick cooler part number 861946T

Last edited by underpsi68; 07-26-2015 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-26-2015, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

A call to Mr. Cool was very helpful for me as well as CP performance, who I think had coolers with OEM fittings.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:36 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info. I forgot about mr cool.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:00 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

John - R & D enterprises has the best coolers around and can make anything you need. I use their products.

they are located Northville Michigan
Old 07-27-2015, 01:56 PM
Registered

Thanks John!
Old 07-27-2015, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Did you go with R&D?
Old 08-20-2015, 10:03 AM
Registered

Sorry for the delayed response.

After thinking about the cooler I decided to just get a stock replacement. I don't drive the boat hard. I don't think I ever even hold it at WOT for a minute at a time. If/when I do some engine upgrades I will buy a bigger cooler than.

I purchased a Mr Cool stock replacement. It was about $100 cheaper than the Mercruiser cooler. When the cooler came the oil fittings were installed in the wrong location. I also felt it was not as sturdy as the factory cooler. I made a call to Mr Cool and the gentleman was helpful to figure out what was wrong with the cooler. I told him I would just like to return it for a refund as I thought the Mercruiser cooler was a better quality. He said no problem ship it back after looking at the pictures I sent him of the 2 coolers side by side. He did give me a full credit including shipping as the cooler was made wrong.

The stock cooler has a thick cast 90 degree 1 1/4" end on one side of the cooler and the outer tube of the cooler itself is also thick cast. The Mr Cool cooler was only thin copper on the both of these locations. I felt it was a greater chance to fail at these locations.