Bravo XR upper driveshaft yoke NEEDED >

Bravo XR upper driveshaft yoke NEEDED

Notices

Old 08-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I blew a upper drive shaft seal and had oil in my bilge, long story short my mechanic took it apart to find whoever installed the last seal did it incorrectly and it ruined the small shaft/knuckle of the drive shaft u joint assembly, the end that goes in the lower unit. Of course Mercury only sells the whole assembly for $800 and all I need is the smaller shaft of the 2 so Im throwing this out there to see if I get any luck and calling every mechanic in town, fingers crossed!
Old 08-03-2015, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I have a blown old style XR upper sitting here. Not really sure what you're looking for but I might have one in there. You lost me when you said it goes into the lower.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Registered

One end of the shaft goes through the gimble housing and into the engine coupling the other end is installed in the lower unit behind the seal. I just posted an add on Powerboat Swap Shop on Facebook with some pictures, Im trying to load photos on here but no luck,. This is the address of the photo on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=2
Old 08-03-2015, 07:03 PM
Registered

I might have what you need. This is from an old style XR. I wouldn't want much for it.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Registered

Mine is an '04, what year is this out of? Is there any serial or part numbers on it? It looks like it may be a little different.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Registered

I'm leaving out of town in the morning, will be gone most of the week. Like I said, this is the non swept back upper. Bearing preload is set with a nut on the end. These nuts will back off so pre-load needs to be shim set and the nut loc-tited and tightened. At very least crimp the nut more with a chisel and use red loc-tite. The swept back uppers may be different. IDK what vintage the drive is. Where it says "serial number" there is no number. I bought it as NOS a few years ago and that nut backed off and took out the upper. The shaft is fine though. If you can figure out if it will work let me know. Carl 248-330-0048 $30 + shipping. I keep the U-joint.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info fellas but this ordeal is done (I HOPE), all new parts on the way. I figure Mercury hasn't bent me over for a while so its about time. On another subject I have a bunch of worn seals, bearings, drive shafts, etc. for sale for a good price lol!!
Old 08-04-2015, 12:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Is there a wear ring or sleeve available to slide over the area where the seal rides.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Registered

I'm not sure, my mechanic is the one working on it I was doing the parts hunting. Im not too familiar with how its assembled.