Talon wouldn't fire yesterday at the ramp

Notices

Talon wouldn't fire yesterday at the ramp

Old 08-17-2015, 10:00 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Talon wouldn't fire yesterday at the ramp

Got to the ramp yesterday, and the Talon wouldn't start, no spark at the spark plug, and nothing coming out of the coil when I'm cranking the ignition. I think it's the coil....

Running the MSD’s Ready-to-Run Marine Distributor and blaster SS coil.

http://www.msdperformance.com/Produc...r_SS_Coil.aspx

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...stributor.aspx

Any thoughts guys?????
Attached Thumbnails Talon wouldn't fire yesterday at the ramp-talon-victory-marine-680.jpg  
Old 08-17-2015, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Have a look here for troubleshooting
http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=3206
Old 08-17-2015, 01:48 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Have a look here for troubleshooting
http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=3206
Thanks, I have already down loaded that and will try tonight, but I'm seeing more and more write-ups on the www about how unreliable these coils are....... I've got about 80 hours on this one
Old 08-17-2015, 04:24 PM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a MSD coil that was fine as long as it was 70 to 75 degrees or warmer; if cold, it would not fire. Took a while to find that one - PITA.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by SFOcean
I had a MSD coil that was fine as long as it was 70 to 75 degrees or warmer; if cold, it would not fire. Took a while to find that one - PITA.
SF,
1st off, you have an awesome rig, did it come from OK? 2nd, I bet that was a real bear to find. My MSD Ready to run system doesn't have a MSD box, just the dist., coil, and plug wires. Can I use a Daytona Sensor coil or another coil besides the MSD "blaster SS" coil and keep my MSD dist.?
Thanks,
Dean
Old 08-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, boat came from OK.

Yes, it was hard to find. Brad Smith (the boat had a Smith Power engine in it) had tried a few days before i took it to California and finally figured it out. As a result, the boat now has two complete systems in it like a race car. If a box fails, I can switch to the other system (complete with it's own soft touch rev limiter) and continue on. Brad liked that idea also, he was very helpful on the phone

I would use the MSD High Vibration Blaster Coil, part number 8222. It is designed for applications such as off-road, marine or other harsh conditions. I believe you could use any coil you want however. Link to MSD coil;

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...ster_Coil.aspx
Old 08-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check for voltage with the key on at the + side of the coil. Also in case you missed it, check your lanyard. It actually opens the wire going to the + side of the coil when activated to kill spark.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:48 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Experianced a similar issue last spring, had cattery charger conected at my shop and was running the engine without any problem. Took the boat to the ramp, engine would crank but not start, fooling around with the ignition system, tried a new coil but no dice. Turned out my batteries were bad. Running a MSD ready to run distributor and blaster coil.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:29 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by SFOcean
Yes, boat came from OK.

Yes, it was hard to find. Brad Smith (the boat had a Smith Power engine in it) had tried a few days before i took it to California and finally figured it out. As a result, the boat now has two complete systems in it like a race car. If a box fails, I can switch to the other system (complete with it's own soft touch rev limiter) and continue on. Brad liked that idea also, he was very helpful on the phone

I would use the MSD High Vibration Blaster Coil, part number 8222. It is designed for applications such as off-road, marine or other harsh conditions. I believe you could use any coil you want however. Link to MSD coil;

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...ster_Coil.aspx
SF,
Thanks for all the info and the link, I'm going to talk to MSD today, I checked the coil last night, and got .5-.7 Ohms between the + - inputs on the coil, and 4.2 K ohms between the + terminal and the main output terminal, all per the specs from MSD.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Check for voltage with the key on at the + side of the coil. Also in case you missed it, check your lanyard. It actually opens the wire going to the + side of the coil when activated to kill spark.
Thanks that's 1 of the 1st things I verified at the ramp,+12.3 VDC on the + terminal of the coil. Also, verified the lanyard is the not the problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.