(Carry On) A/C Options

Notices

(Carry On) A/C Options

Old 08-18-2015, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Default (Carry On) A/C Options

School the newbie!

I've done searching here and found through hatch as well as (Mermaid) self contained aftermarket units. Is anyone with shore power or the like carrying on a unit as exampled in the picture below?

http://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FRA...ioner+6000+btu

It seems the exhaust hose can merely be wedged between the cabin door and extra space taken up via any number of creative means.

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2015, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been using a carry on unit similar to this for the past 6 years. I made sure that I got a style that had the exhaust hose only with no intake hose. I have a standard Bomar hatch on my boat and made a plexiglass insert that the hose mounts to. I then run the condensate from the AC unit into a condensation pump and it drains into the sink.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can go even more low tech if you want. Buy a used 5000 btu window unit, set it on the cockpit floor at the cabin door so the exhaust is blowing into the cockpit and hang a towel over the opening so only the cold air is blowing in and it will freeze you out, even in the TX heat.

Not as much privacy since the cabin door is open, but it works.

Your cockpit carpet will get wet, so plan accordingly.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SC288
I have been using a carry on unit similar to this for the past 6 years. I made sure that I got a style that had the exhaust hose only with no intake hose. I have a standard Bomar hatch on my boat and made a plexiglass insert that the hose mounts to. I then run the condensate from the AC unit into a condensation pump and it drains into the sink.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Originally Posted by anewway
You can go even more low tech if you want. Buy a used 5000 btu window unit, set it on the cockpit floor at the cabin door so the exhaust is blowing into the cockpit and hang a towel over the opening so only the cold air is blowing in and it will freeze you out, even in the TX heat.

Not as much privacy since the cabin door is open, but it works.

Your cockpit carpet will get wet, so plan accordingly.
I saw that option too but storage and handling of the unit would be an issue being it's not a portable solution. Atleast the carry-on won't look out of place if I decide to throw it up on the v-berth etc. when not in use and may be able to stow one below an interior seat if I can find the applicable size.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

I always just used a hatch air? It sets in the hatch and has a hose that you drop over the side, easy and all controls are inside. Not saying buy from west but like this.

http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdviso...-for-Your-Boat
Old 08-20-2015, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless
School the newbie!

I've done searching here and found through hatch as well as (Mermaid) self contained aftermarket units. Is anyone with shore power or the like carrying on a unit as exampled in the picture below?

http://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FRA...ioner+6000+btu

It seems the exhaust hose can merely be wedged between the cabin door and extra space taken up via any number of creative means.

Thanks!
If you get one like this and dumps over or you store it on its side, will it need to be stood upright for 24hrs before use, like refrigerators after moving?
Old 08-21-2015, 05:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I always just used a hatch air? It sets in the hatch and has a hose that you drop over the side, easy and all controls are inside. Not saying buy from west but like this.

http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdviso...-for-Your-Boat
Saw those too but look like a pain to store as well as make it out onto the bow from the cockpit with 2 people carrying.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless
Saw those too but look like a pain to store as well as make it out onto the bow from the cockpit with 2 people carrying.
Depends on where you start. We used to keep ours in the dock box and just handed it from the dock to someone on the bow. They are not that heavy and a small one works for a go fast.

If you are storing on boat and pulling it from there that could be a pain. They are made for boats though and can get the temp down FAST!

Would not fit under a seat for storage.