No "fuel" issue & Mercruiser EFI 502 Info Needed

Notices

No "fuel" issue & Mercruiser EFI 502 Info Needed

Old 08-29-2015, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No "fuel" issue & Mercruiser EFI 502 Info Needed

Hi all,

first post, the 502 i've been working on with my dad wont start, we disconnected the line after the fuel filter and its squirting fuel as the key/engine is turned over.

It will start and stay running with starting fluid, but it is not getting fuel somewhere between after the filter and the injectors.

I am having a hard time finding a service manual online for the Mercruise 502 Magnum EFI, does anyone have an electronic version of the service manual? or know where a service manual can be purchased?

The engine looks exactly like this one:

it is sitting in a 1992 Wellcraft Scarab Twin 502 boat.

We're trying to get the engine to start and run on the fuel in the tank but not having much luck so far, can someone please provide some info on the EFI system and some diagnosis tips?

Much appreciated,
IOIO

Edit: If someone could also tell me whether this system has an electric fuel pump or a mechanical lift pump with electric fuel pressure pump? This engine gave no pump "whirr" noise when the engines electronics were turned on (for either engine, and the port-side engine started just fine, which leads me to believe it has a mechanical fuel pump with an electric fuel pressure pump)

Last edited by InOutInOut; 08-29-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

There is a electric pump and a mechanical lift pump. Electric high pressure pump is in the "VST" tank in your picture you posted. It's at the top left with two silver hoses and a clear yellow hose on it. Lots of posts about it and vapor lock if searched.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dig around and find the engine serial number, and chances are bup on here can fix you up. That being said there is a screen in the vst that can clog, you'll want to look at that.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

The electric fuel pump is inside the VST. Outlined in Red. When you power it up if should run for 2-3 seconds before cranking.

The mechanical pump, pumps fuel into it and the electric pump feeds the rail. The electric pump has 1 harness with2 wires coming out of it. There are also 3 fuses under the lid where the computer is. Make sure those are good. IIRC one is for the pump.

Last edited by 92nsx; 08-31-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:42 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

High-pressure pump and or regulator. Also had if you line collapse due to ethanol eating the inside out check your fuel lines and rail for particles of rubber.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:27 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Most likely everything in the VST or least half of the parts could be the problem . There is a bottom filter as well.

Last edited by BUP; 08-31-2015 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:32 PM
BUP
Banned

here is one serial group of it since you did not post engine serial number. engine serial is one of the most important things you can post - it takes a lot of guess work out and of course it takes a lot of wrong answers out the mix to in which can only help you looking for the correct information in return

. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/me...below-see-note
Old 08-31-2015, 11:37 PM
BUP
Banned

And another engine serial number group Not a cheap parts buying for anyone if they have this very poor design outdated system.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/me...sn-up-see-note
Old 09-01-2015, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
And another engine serial number group Not a cheap parts buying for anyone if they have this very poor design outdated system.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/me...sn-up-see-note
If you were to update it what would you do? Aeromotive or something like that or a newer Cool Fuel setup?
Old 09-01-2015, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 465 Likes on 361 Posts

I'll leave it to BUP for suggested replacements. I pulled one off my 502 during my last rebuild and went from a MEFI-1 and VST (same as yours) to MEFI-3 and cool fuel. Upgraded because I knew if I ever need to replace it, then it would be costly unless I found a used one, and MEFI-3 was more tunable then the 1. It was working fine when removed, had cleaned it a couple times just for cause and found no issues. They are prone to vapor lock being on top the engine, but that to can be dealt with

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.