Rusty bilge water. >

Rusty bilge water.

Notices

Rusty bilge water.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty bilge water.

Late in the day, putting my boat away I drained a couple gallons of water out of the boat, it was rusty. I know this indicates some kind of cooling system leak, it was getting dark so I will head back this weekend, I looked with a flashlight the best I could and nothing seems obvious.

Advice?
Old 10-07-2015, 09:43 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

what in the world do you have - and how about closed cooling app or freshwater ? what year model and cooling system along with what is the complete exhaust system installed on the boat/ engine ?. Is this a salt water boat ?

Man this would be a dart throwing contest without the important info needed

A WAG here would be cast iron exhaust manifold(s) external cracked or cracks or the riser gaskets leaking externally or the hose connection to them or somewhere on the engine ?

if this is an stock OMC with stock exhaust manifolds then the rubber cap(s) and or hose clamps back side of the exhaust manifold that seals the water rail (drain) has split or the hose clamp is very loose that holds it tight on the water rail.

External crack engine block water passage area ?

A really bad leaking rusted water circ pump ?

Again a while azz guess here or WAG

Last edited by BUP; 10-07-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:56 PM
Registered

Sorry, typing from my cell -- here are more details.

Fresh water cooled (stock system) 1992 Gen V 502, edelbrock air gap, SM manifolds. The engine is a full roller motor, custom cam etc which really doesn't mean anything for this…I don't think. There is nothing OMC left besides the accessories, mounts, and outdrive. This is a fresh water boat now, but I assume it was at least in brackish water at some point in it's life as it came from down south. I figured I would be able to see at least some witness marks from a leak or something, but saw nothing -- I was running out of daylight and didn't have a great light with me. It's not getting much in it, that's clear as I have used is a few times and maybe 2 gallons came out tops. I don't see anything dripping while it's idling, even at high idle. Maybe it needs to be under load, not sure. But it's very rusty and that has me a bit concerned, definitely points me to the cooling system.

Original OMC Engine/Drive package is 824BPEAMH.

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 10-07-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:01 PM
BUP
Banned

was a huge guess long shot as to the left 1992 Four Winns info in your name. My point well taken now NO OMC product. Aluminum exhaust manifolds (SM) so most likely not there and that's why I said cast iron set up

how old is this package ?

Last edited by BUP; 10-07-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:10 PM
Registered

I put it together back in 2012. The manifolds I'm not sure, they were on the boat when I got it, but did have them pressure tested during the engine build. New oil cooler was also installed at the time of the build. I'm not sure what OMC has to do with this other than that's how it started life, but maybe you know something I don't.

It pumps water like crazy, that I do know.

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 10-07-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:38 AM
BUP
Banned

Listed under your name is a 1992 Four Winns 221 in which was owned by OMC company so when the boat was produced from the Four Winns factory it originally had a OEM OMC marine engine & transom assembly and a OMC outdrive so since I had NO IDEA what your engine was my guess was of course an OMC engine from Four Winns OMC owned company . This was my Logic about it and WAG what you had. That's it.

I doubt your SM exhaust manifolds are externally leaking rusted water out as they are Aluminum, if they were cast iron stock manifolds then yes possible if rusted thru or cracked.

Are you sure the water is rusted and not rotted wood colored from transom leaking water in > Production boats especially Four Winns and a lot boats from the 80's and 90;s can have a lot of wood rot overtime. I would check the transom and its seal plus making sure water is not coming in from that area.

Next guess is torn U joint bellows water rusted from the input shaft and u joints that is coming thru that area.

next block drain plugs loose and or leaking water

Next freeze plug(s) leaking or popped a bit ?

Last edited by BUP; 10-08-2015 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:50 AM
Registered

I am sure this boat has no rot, it's definitely rust. We went over this boat very carefully when I bought it, and again once I had the engine out for the build, it has the rusty smell to it if that makes sense. Luckily this particular boat was one of the few boats in that time frame that had the fiberglass floor option from the factory, that alone helps a TON. We also re-sealed the transome when the engine was out, all the wood was solid and had virtually no moisture in it for a boat it's age.

Bellows are a good idea to look, and I'll check all the plugs. Hopefully its something easy.