Mercruiser 496 Starter issue >

Mercruiser 496 Starter issue

Notices

Mercruiser 496 Starter issue

Old 10-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercruiser 496 Starter issue

This is the engine out of my cousins cruiser. Shop sent him this vid.

For about two seasons now, there has been a starter issue. He has gone through probably three or four starters on this engine. They will work for a month or two then **** the bed. At some point he noticed there was a small chip that was missing around the forward bolt from the block, from what I recall the size was about 3/8" long, 1/4" wide and less than 1/8" thick tapering to 0. He found the piece in the bilge after one of the replacements, and jb welded it back in but it seems to have come loose again and they didn't find it.

He's tried shimming it in the past, when the marina did the replacement they removed all of the shims and replaced the bolts as well.

He had a local marina replace the starter earlier this year since he was tired of fooling with it. This starter lasted even less than the previous ones and had very little use. They pulled the engine to finally diagnose it properly. It looks like there is a lot of flex and possibly the bolts are bottoming out in the holes and not applying proper torque? Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/bvG7P_213b8

Last edited by c_deezy; 10-08-2015 at 06:23 PM.