Need 525 EFI Flush Kits >

Need 525 EFI Flush Kits

Notices

Need 525 EFI Flush Kits

Old 12-02-2015, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need 525 EFI Flush Kits

Need to install flush kits on my 525's. Have searched the forums and have not really found anything. I have the first generation 525's , wondering if I could mount the later generation 525 kits to my older engines. What have you guys with these engines done for flushing? Have strainers on my 10 meter , makes it easy to flush but don't want to install them on the lightning due to space constraints and the cost . Also cant seem to find the part numbers for the factory flush kits. Need help / ideas please!
Old 12-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're probably not going to want to hear this, but you probably should install strainers for those 525's. That will make installing flush lines fairly simple and also give you some protection from sucking bad stuff up and destroying the sea pumps which will result in you having to chase pieces of impeller all through the system. Additionally, 525 headers are very prone to damage when overheated so you get a double whammy there.

Without the strainers, the only other thing I can think of is to put a tee in the hose from the outdrive to the sea pump and tie those to a hose inlet but I would recommend against doing this. Best option is through strainers..
Old 12-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Registered

Thanks for responding Hy , was hoping you would. I know you are right and its the headers that I really want to flush after use. I have been draining them and spraying wd-40 into them when I get back to the lift for 2 seasons , kind of a pain and not exactly eco friendly. Am I mistaken in thinking the newer version 525's have a flush port ?
Old 12-02-2015, 08:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flatlanderbill
Thanks for responding Hy , was hoping you would. I know you are right and its the headers that I really want to flush after use. I have been draining them and spraying wd-40 into them when I get back to the lift for 2 seasons , kind of a pain and not exactly eco friendly. Am I mistaken in thinking the newer version 525's have a flush port ?
My 525's are 2008 and do not have a flush port. Maybe later models do but I'm not aware of that. I've also heard of spraying WD-40 in the headers, but I've also heard that WD-40 can harm rubber; maybe someone else can chime in on that.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The flush fittings/kits are normally supplied and installed by the builder. They typically are not included with the engine/drive package.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:05 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Mercruiser does offer add on flush kits for the raw water side of things. If you need anything let me know. Also what Volvo Penta incorporated into the raw water inlet cooling hose would work as well. I actually like theirs better because it has a screw on cap and the water hose screws into that when the cap is removed

Here is what Merc has in the link

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/me...alog-01213.htm

It is not hard to do your own set up with a on / off valve and some nice fittings and the correct length and diameter of a quality reinforced engine water hose(s) that T's into the raw water inlet cooling hose. I have done them before that turned out very nice.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:19 PM
BUP
Banned

here is OEM Volvo penta flush kit that they install on their engines at the factory. Just some info for whomever. You can make that hose however long to mount it however and just buy the parts - and the correct diameter 3 way hose adapter.

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/engine_flush.html

Last edited by BUP; 12-02-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:21 PM
BUP
Banned

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/PD..._kit_flush.PDF
Old 12-02-2015, 11:55 PM
BUP
Banned

Last one for now- Volvo Penta for saltwater apps sells this kit that has worked very well. No garden hose needed hooked in fittings but a water supply at engine idling is needed.. I understand you have a Merc 525 but that does not mean anything setting up a system. Just adding this for whomever.

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/pr...ushing_kit.pdf

Last edited by BUP; 12-03-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:56 AM
Registered

Thanks guy's , nice to have a few options. This is the first offshore boat I've owned without strainers, might just bite the bullet. Bup, thanks for posting up some links for me , appreciate the help!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.