Notices

If you ever cut open a PCV valve

Old 02-01-2016, 05:34 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default If you ever cut open a PCV valve

I don't know why all this weirdness always happens to me but I figured this might save someone some trouble.
I had someone work on the boat/engines and one of the things he said he routinely did was install pcv valves but he takes the check balls out. So he proceeds to buy 4 new valves, gut them and install them. Well before I actually stated the engines for the first time I had occasion to remove the valves and I see a round piece of metal laying on my rocker arm. Just complete luck that I happened to remove the valve and that it landed directly on a damn rocker and was visible. I had a hard time getting a good pic but there is an extra piece of metal (like a double thickness for reinforcement) up at the top of the valve that can fall out.
Attached Thumbnails If you ever cut open a PCV valve-imag0896_1.jpg   If you ever cut open a PCV valve-imag0895.jpg   If you ever cut open a PCV valve-imag0892_1.jpg  

Old 02-01-2016, 05:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

How the heck does it work without the check ball? Doesnt that defeat the purpouse?
Old 02-01-2016, 05:42 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

I have no clue. Maybe to have it flow better? I trusted him and let him do his job. I mostly learned what not to do.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:49 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

By the way. For those who followed the " what do these bearings tell you" thread, this was not the same person. This happened later in the game of take all my money.

Last edited by bck; 02-01-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Be thankful you caught the ball. Hard to say what the outcome would be if you hadn't. I've seen some things in the bottom of pans that baffle me to this day. Some that didn't take the path of least resistance that's for sure. I've never used pvc valves in marine however have seen them and from what I've heard is merc has gone back to using them. Probably more so to do with environment-issues than that of any real reason for them. But it's ok to spray hazardous chemtrails down on us everyday. Lol. Evidently your engine guy don't see the need for them however the only thing I would imagine he's doing by removing the ball is to utilize the pvc body as an oil trap. I'm not sure of what your running engine wise etc but regardless good catch.

Btw you may want to confirm he has the other three balls in his possession???

Good luck
Old 02-01-2016, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

without the check ball the valve is nothing more than a vacuum leak.did he say why he does this?
Old 02-01-2016, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
without the check ball the valve is nothing more than a vacuum leak.did he say why he does this?
More like an oil siphon.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
More like an oil siphon.
lets just call it a detonation monster!
Old 02-01-2016, 08:45 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

They were gutted and empty. You wouldn't notice the extra layer of metal up inside unless you looked very closely. You can see in the pics how hard it is to tell which one is missing. The other valves still had this piece intact. It ended up being a non issue as the engines have been taken apart.I guess the pcvs were used because the engines had the provisions for them. As far as why the insides were removed, I have no idea. This was a reputable builder with an established business, not a side job. He just said that's the way he does it. The other end of the hoses was hooked up to the nipple on the flame arrestor.

Last edited by bck; 02-01-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:54 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
They were gutted and empty. The other end of the hoses was hooked up to the nipple on the flame arrestor.
That's how Merc does it on most of their motors. If you kept theirs, they are empty and nothing to gut.

Anytime you see a factory motor with tubes going to the arrestor, the PCV looking things are not actually PCV valves, because they are hollow inside with no springs/balls.

Issue is when people think these are supposed to be PCV valves,

PCV valves are not open to atmosphere, they are connected to full intake vacuum.

Very common for people to get confused on these, until they have been there and done that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.